Storing full sanke kegs at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pig140

FBC
Reaction score
I keg in sanke kegs and have a question about storing at room temperature without a pressure release valve. Right now I don't brew more than I have room for, but I may have some overflow stacking up in the next few months that won't fit in the kegerator.

Once the beer is kegged, can I hit it with CO2 (purging out the O2 of course), UNTAP, and set it aside at room temp? Or do I need to tap it with a coupler and with the beer line and the CO2 ports capped so that I have a PRV just to be safe?

If Fermentation is done when you keg you have nothing to worry about at room temperature. Throw some priming sugar in and let it carb naturally. Just don't let it get hotter than the range for the yeast or you could have problems.

In summer it stays no higher than 76 and in winter no lower than 65. Do I need to go ahead and carbonate before storing or can I just do enough to purge the CO2? I guess I could force carbonate for a week and then store.

I sometimes age kegs at room temp without carbing first, I purge then hit them with a final burst of CO2. I just put a stout in the kegerator that had aged 3 months at room temp, there was still a very small burst of CO2 when I released the PRV before hooking it back up.

I've started aging in kegs and will keep them aged in my basement.

Bombers age at room temp all the time. I figure I'm just doing the same thing.

I'm aging the same way you are - connect sanke to tap, change out air by putting CO2 in and purging out, untap and store.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I was worried about no PRV, but that sounds like a non-issue. I figured since the yeast was finished plus being racked into the keg it would be ok, but I wanted to be sure. Plus its good to know that room temp will be fine to store for a few weeks/months.

Latest posts

Back