Storing finished beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I currently have 2 corny kegs with beer 2 weeks in my corny kegs. After 2 weeks of fermentation I filled the kegs and bumped it up to 30 psi for a few days and down to 12 psi for the rest of the week and they both produced lovely pints. I am running both off one gas line using a dual john guest fitting and now i just want to leave it storing, they have been in the fridge at 35f since kegging. I am firstly wondering do I need to adjust the psi because I am using the same gas line for both? Also what is the correct storage psi as the carbonation is correct? Can I do damage by slightly over carbonating?

I currently have 2 corny kegs with beer 2 weeks in my corny kegs. After 2 weeks of fermentation I filled the kegs and bumped it up to 30 psi for a few days and down to 12 psi for the rest of the week and they both produced lovely pints. I am running both off one gas line using a dual john guest fitting and now i just want to leave it storing, they have been in the fridge at 35f since kegging. I am firstly wondering do I need to adjust the psi because I am using the same gas line for both? Also what is the correct storage psi as the carbonation is correct? Can I do damage by slightly over carbonating?
I also might add I have recently purchased this bottle filler and am wondering is there any tricks for keeping the carbonation while tranferring from the keg?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201215-171942_Advertsie.jpg
    Screenshot_20201215-171942_Advertsie.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 24
I keep my kegs at serving pressure, usually around 12-13 psi. Beer has lasted quite a while, many months in some cases. Not sure if that was what you were after but there's my 2 cents 🍻

As long as they are kept cold and the kegs don't leak you should be able to leave them off the gas once you've established an equilibrium pressure. Basically, once you've used the chart above and calculated what your intended carb level is, you can pressurize the keg to that psi (usually around serving pressure or a hair above it) and unhook them. That being said, if you're keeping them on tap then normal serving pressure will do.

I actually had a bad experience building a kegerator...as in I screwed it up...and the thing went shot on me after like a month! At the time I had a Lemon Wheat on tap that was about a 1/4 of the way gone. I removed the keg from the gas and it actually warmed up to room temp for a month before I got the extra funds to buy an actual purpose-built kegerator. I chilled the beer back down, hooked it up and it poured just fine.

Thanks guys i think i messed it up lol last night the pints were pouring pure foam after a week at about 15psi as it was already carbonated! I purged the keg and turned down the psi and eventually got a pint but tasted gasier then usual.. not the end of the world as ive drank half already and have 2 more batches nearly done..another question if beer is over carbonated will this be dangerous to bottle?

As long as they are kept cold and the kegs don't leak you should be able to leave them off the gas once you've established an equilibrium pressure. Basically, once you've used the chart above and calculated what your intended carb level is, you can pressurize the keg to that psi (usually around serving pressure or a hair above it) and unhook them. That being said, if you're keeping them on tap then normal serving pressure will do.

I actually had a bad experience building a kegerator...as in I screwed it up...and the thing went shot on me after like a month! At the time I had a Lemon Wheat on tap that was about a 1/4 of the way gone. I removed the keg from the gas and it actually warmed up to room temp for a month before I got the extra funds to buy an actual purpose-built kegerator. I chilled the beer back down, hooked it up and it poured just fine.
How did it go wrong? I currently have a chest freezer with a thermostat and 2 corny kegs

Attachments

• 20201209_193001.jpg
    20201209_193001.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 15
I have a keezer with two taps dedicated to beer (another two used for soda water and kombucha) but my keezer holds 6 five gallon kegs and two 2 1/2 gallon kegs on the hump. So I regularly have untapped kegs in the keezer on gas waiting their turn. If I don't naturally carbonate the kegs with sugar, I hook them up to the gas at 30 psi for 24 hours, then burp them and set them on gas at 12 psi for the duration of their time in the keezer. When they finally get tapped, I don't have any over-carbonation problems. The only times I have carbonation problems is if I forget to take them off the 30 psi gas line after 24 - 30 hours.

I have a keezer with two taps dedicated to beer (another two used for soda water and kombucha) but my keezer holds 6 five gallon kegs and two 2 1/2 gallon kegs on the hump. So I regularly have untapped kegs in the keezer on gas waiting their turn. If I don't naturally carbonate the kegs with sugar, I hook them up to the gas at 30 psi for 24 hours, then burp them and set them on gas at 12 psi for the duration of their time in the keezer. When they finally get tapped, I don't have any over-carbonation problems. The only times I have carbonation problems is if I forget to take them off the 30 psi gas line after 24 - 30 hours.
Ive been making kombucha myself but must try it in a keg. I have 2 cornys but i think i might fit another. Can i ask you whats ure gas setup and do you run all these kegs off one regulator?

Attachments

• 20201109_203047.jpg
    20201109_203047.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201109_203055.jpg
    20201109_203055.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20201109_203101.jpg
    20201109_203101.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Back