Storing empty kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antvq

Reaction score
I did a search and found a ton of threads on storing full kegs but nothing on the correct storage of empty kegs.

What I've been doing is when the keg is empty I clean it with PBW and the Mark II keg washer (http://www.morebeer.com/products/mark-ii-keg-carboy-washer.html).

I then sanitize with StarSan, and hit the keg with around 30 pounds of CO2 and leave it in the basement until needed.

Using this method I shouldn't have to re-wash and sanitize the keg before using it again right?

Anything else I should be doing?

I soak Oxy for a day. Rinse well with hit water and drain/dry prior to storage.

A pint or two of star san rolled around on kegging day and then drained prior to fill.

There's so much said about "Star San breaks down into yeast food".
I'm not sure it makes sense to sanitize before storing...

Cheers!

Yeah, I'll probably just store pressurized and sanitize with a spray bottle before use. Good 'nuff for me.

The only potential problem w/ storing them fully pressurized is that you can damage the poppet springs.
I clean w/ B-Brite, rinse & sanitize w/ StarSan. I also make sure to rinse & flush the dip tube. I then use just a quick burst of CO2 to lightly seal.
Ready for use.

I have been cleaning and then storing them with Star San blasted with about 20 psi of CO2. I run Star San through both tubs. When I am ready to use the keg, I dump the Star San and use. I haven't had a problem yet but I a open to new ideas.

I have been cleaning and then storing them with Star San blasted with about 20 psi of CO2. I run Star San through both tubs. When I am ready to use the keg, I dump the Star San and use. I haven't had a problem yet but I a open to new ideas.

This is what I do as well but with a twist...I am usually cleaning multiple kegs so once the kegs are cleaned out, I fill one up with about 1/3 star san solution, pressurize with co2, shake well let it sit for 5min, shake again and use a jumper line to push the star San into the next keg, rinse and repeat the shaking process. Once the last keg had been through the star San treatment, I use a picnic tap and/or hook it up to the kegerator lines to run some star San through those as well and empty the star San solution into a bucket for later use.

I store the emptied, sanitized kegs under pressure in a climate controlled building and they stay clean and ready until the next fill.
Sanitizes the kegs and dip tubes, jumper line and picnic taps/kegerator lines all in one shot which is nice.

I personally don't like to store my empty kegs with liquid in them. I don't have anything scientific to back it up, it is really just a personal preference.

What I do, is when I clean out a keg, I put it upside down to dry, and after a couple days, and flipping it around to find where the water has pooled, it is completely dry. Once it is dry, I pressurize and store on a baker's rack. I always pressurize so that when I go to fill the keg, I know immediately that something is wrong if it has no pressure. I have over 90 kegs at this point, so I can't keep track of individual kegs, and I just take care of things as they come up, so having a check like this helps me to make sure I don't rack into a problematic keg that I will later have to replace a seal or poppet on.

Why are people not rinsing Star San off equipment before use?

Star San technical data sheet states rinsing out/off equipment before use.

Star San is a sanitizer, do people not use sterilizers first before using equipment?

I do a full clean and sanitize myself after its empty Let dry and then seal them up. Hit em with Co2 and label well with my tags. Day of filling I simply remove tag. Relieve the pressure, Run a little Star San in it through the In, Out and the Relief valve and fill it up with beer. Been doing it that way for 15 years. I feel the Co2 keeps it totally fresh.

Cheers
Jay

Why are people not rinsing Star San off equipment before use?

Star San technical data sheet states rinsing out/off equipment before use.

Star San is a sanitizer, do people not use sterilizers first before using equipment?

Five Star touts Star San as a no-rinse sanitizer, but the data sheet does include post-use rinsing, so there's definitely a conflict there.
That said, I've never rinsed after applying or soaking something in Star San.

I doubt there's a home brewer anywhere on this particular planet that is using a true sterilization process in their brewing.
It's not practical, and it's not required...

Cheers!

I did a search and found a ton of threads on storing full kegs but nothing on the correct storage of empty kegs.

What I've been doing is when the keg is empty I clean it with PBW and the Mark II keg washer .

I then sanitize with StarSan, and hit the keg with around 30 pounds of CO2 and leave it in the basement until needed.

Using this method I shouldn't have to re-wash and sanitize the keg before using it again right?

Anything else I should be doing?

I use the exact same process. When getting ready to use the clean keg, I just shake it a bit to re-coat everything inside with StarSan, then open and dump, then fill with beer.

Been doing this for years and never had an infected keg this way.

Latest posts

Back