Storing coffee in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
A guy at work is running a coffee program with learning disabled kids where they sell coffee around the school.

He came over a while back and looked over my kegerator system. He's been bugging me ever since to find a way to put brewed coffee in a keg. I guess brewing it up per use is huge hassle. He even managed to find some black coffee in a bottle.

Anyway, the best I could come up with was to put coffee in a corny and use nitrogen to purge the air and to push out coffee when you want some. I'm not sure if he's planning on selling iced coffee or what. But for now, he just wants a way to put it in a keg and keep it fresh for a while.

Is this feasible? Any ideas? I'd like to help the guy out, but I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Cheers.

I just watched a show about the coffee company Illy. They actually invented storing coffee in containers purged with nitrogen. Its the industry standard now.

I've never tried it but from what I learned during that show, it would keep it fresh.

I cold brew coffee and that seems like it would work well. Basically you let the ground beans sit in water for 12 - 24 hours then drain it through a filter and you have a coffee concentrate that is VERY tasty.

This system is what I use: http://www.toddycafe.com/

A lot of "hip" coffee shops around me sell their cold brew in growlers.

should work. definately dont use CO2 though. nitrogen, or better yet argon (disolves even less), would work pretty well. keep the pressure just above the amount needed to seal the keg or push the coffee out, and no higher.

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass along the idea and see what he does with it.

You can store cold brewed coffee for later use but kegging it is overly complicating things. He could just use growlers.

If he is attempting to store some sort of drip brewed coffee in bulk and reheating it later.....yuck!

Better idea..... fill it with beer and sell it to the staff after school's out.
They'll need it after a hard week.

Hi

A lot of coffee is in the aromatics associated with brewing. Hanging on to them through any process is probably something worth considering. My guess is that it's easier to just set up and properly brew the stuff when you need it, unless the objective is iced coffee (sorry for the editorial comment , but yuck ...).

Bob

Hi

A lot of coffee is in the aromatics associated with brewing. Hanging on to them through any process is probably something worth considering. My guess is that it's easier to just set up and properly brew the stuff when you need it, unless the objective is iced coffee (sorry for the editorial comment , but yuck ...).

Bob

I agree. That was my recommendation to him.

A local coffee shop out by me uses the toddy method and the stores the coffee in the used glass flavoring liters in the fridge, about a batch a week for them. I imagine storing in water 2 1/2 gallon water jugs with the spigot would work good for this method. Just takin a guess

Back