Storing bottled beer; proper storage temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwill911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for ideas and suggestions for storing my beer after bottling. I've been made aware since the weather has gotten colder that yeast will go dormant resulting in flat beer. My man cave is a downstairs ground level room which keeps the beer at 64-65 degrees. Wondering what others in this situation do that is easy and cost effective. I have a batch of Imperial stout in bottles now, I don't plan to drink for many weeks or a few months. But I'd rather it wasn't flat when I do.
Thanks, jw

At 64-65 they'll be just fine. Heck, that's what my current active fermentation is at.
Thanks.
The recommended fermentation temperature was 68-70, and I stayed pretty close to that, however I did ferment under pressure (my first time). The previous batch an IPA was flat and I needed to use my Fermentemp heat jacket w/ Inkbird controller to try to keep the temp higher and it took weeks to get somewhat decent results. I might have had additional problems with that brew.

Is this your first and second batches, or have you had success with others? You may want to describe your packaging process in detail to be sure you're setting yourself up for success.

At 64-65 they will condition ok, but may need a little more time. If you could move the bottles to a warmer room, that may help speed up conditioning. I move mine to the laundry/furnace room, as it's always a few degrees warmer in there.

Once the beers are conditioned, the cooler temp in your man cave becomes an advantage, as the beer will stay fresh longer.

Is this your first and second batches, or have you had success with others? You may want to describe your packaging process in detail to be sure you're setting yourself up for success.
I've been brewing for ~a year probably a dozen or so batches all extract kits. But I'm heading in the BIAB direction but been lately looking at AIO systems like Brewfather G40 or Brewzilla 65L but need a 240v circuit in my garage/brew space.
To answer I've always tried to minimize oxygen exposure and have since acquired a Fermzilla and did my first pressure closed transfer last brew. I boil 4 oz corn sugar, cool it and pour against inside of bottling bucket while transferring beer slowly to try to achieve an even mix and minimize splashing. Then I heft my bottling bucket to the kitchen counter and gravity feed my bottling wand while I sit/kneel on the floor bottling and usually do a dozen or so bottles before capping, then do more until done. Last batch was 24/12oz, 21/500ml and a few 22 oz. Pre-bottling I sanitize everything, bottling bucket, lid, bottles, caps, capper, wand, hose/tubing. Most of my batches have come out pretty good, usually ales or IPAs or DIPAs. Lately liking stouts.

Do your bottle conditioning at room temperature. 64-65F might be a bit cool, it will carbonate but will take longer than say 72F. Some place bottles in a poly safety bin while carbonating to contain any exploding bottles. Test one every few weeks to check if done.

Long term storage in a refrigerator is preferred. I’ve stored bottled beer in cool conditions like yours, it works, but remember oxidation is your enemy and it will occur faster in room-temp stored beers, slower if refrigerated. I store all my bottles at a temperature regulated 34F, they seem to stay fresh forever at that temp.

Back