Storing boiled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i8beer

Reaction score
I am a nob and I have two 20 liter nalgene bottles with caps. Is it sanitary and what is the length of time that I can store water in them for use to top off my primary fermenter when I pour my wort into them? Of course the water will be boiled first. I am just worried about sanitation.

I would think as long as the bottles are sanitized first and they are stored in a cold location, should be good for a while, couple weeks maybe?

I'd think boiled water put into sanitized containers would store for a considerable length of time. Months...maybe years?

Just looking for other users experiences wether the water ever got slimy from sitting. Thanks for the replies

I know you're hoping to use your jug, but lots of us have had great success storing boiled, sterile water in mason jars. Boil them in a pot of water, lift the jars out, still full of boiling water, and put a sterilized lid on. It will vacuum seal and no baddies will ever get in.

buy a jug of purified drinking water at walmart for 68 cents. no fuss no muss. dont open til you top off. I've done this dozens of times.

Back