Stopping Stir Plate - Cell Count Impacts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jybingbrew

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to my WLP001 starter (2.25L in a 3L flask) overflowing and spilling out the side of my flask. I caught it just as it was happening, so really didn't have much actual foam/liquid loss.

I'm curious though, how much of an impact taking this off the stir plate for the rest of the fermentation will have on my final cell counts?

It was on the stir-plate for a good 10-12 hours before I had to take it off -- is that enough time to to get the yeast through the multiplying phase to make the difference negligible?

Only asking because I planned on splitting the starter to save some, and use some this weekend... and want to make sure I'd still have enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.... Thanks!

Id say its ok. If it spilled over the top you'd be losing good yeast cells. The way I see it you don't have much choice. Look into getting some fermcap. That stuff works wonders

Yeah, agree .... I don't have much choice but to let it go.

If it was going to result in a significant reduction in expected yeast cell count, I'd consider not trying to split it though, and just using the whole thing in my batch this weekend.

Latest posts

Back