Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Okay, I have been reading up on how to clone this “righteous” beer (pun intended) and have come up with what I think to be a fairly decent starting point for an extract clone recipe, however, I need the expertise of everyone else on this forum to take me the rest of the way. Let me know what you think, criticism is welcome:

5 gallon batch

9 lb Light DME
0.9 oz Crystal 60L
0.9 oz Carafa III (de-husked)

1oz Chinook - 60 min
1oz Chinook - 30 min
1 oz Simcoe - 10 min
1 oz Amarillo - 10 min
1 oz Simcoe - dry hop
1 oz Amarillo - dry hop

Pitched 2 vials WL001 California Ale

Thanks again for the help in advance! Brew on!

I would up the 60L to a full pound, or add a quarter pound of 120L. You'll need some crystal sweetness to balance out the slight roasty flavor from the carafa and the bitterness from the hops.

I had this beer for the first time lastnight, and I thought it had more roasted malt than just carafa.

I would up the 60L to a full pound, or add a quarter pound of 120L. You'll need some crystal sweetness to balance out the slight roasty flavor from the carafa and the bitterness from the hops.

I had this beer for the first time lastnight, and I thought it had more roasted malt than just carafa.

stones lists it as

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

5 gallon batch

9 lb Light DME
0.9 oz Crystal 60L
0.9 oz Carafa III (de-husked)

don't you need more like 0.5lbs of the crystal and carafa to get it dark enough? I haven't had it in awhile, but isn't this beer dark brown/black?

edit: oops, more like 0.75lbs each to match the 5%

Recipe looks pretty good, My partial mash recipe of this is in secondary on the dry hops. I added more late addition hops, bout an 1oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo a lil at a time from 10 to 5 min and another oz each at 5 to o min then lightened up on the DH to 1/2 oz each and a 1/4 oz of zeus. This tastes great, I keep sneaking tasters, Like "oh better test gravity again" I put too much carafa at 1 lb but it'll be a hit! Just make what you feel is right and take good notes. When everyone thinks this is the greatest beer ever, you can recreate and tweek it to your liking, good luck!:rockin:

Edit: I assume you mean 9oz and not 0.9oz, at 9oz that will be perfect.

So overall does my proposed hop schedule put me around the correct IBU's for this brew?

I would think about adding more late additions. Another oz of each at 5min or when you turn off the heat. The beer itself is obviously hoppy, but it also has a strong hop aroma.

So overall does my proposed hop schedule put me around the correct IBU's for this brew?

are you doing a full boil? You may want an extra .5oz at the beginning.

Also, if you are trying to close it, why not use WLP007, it basically their house yeast. Everyone thinks it's WLP001 for some reason.

I promise you you're gonna like whatever you do, but I understand wanting to get it "right". It could use some more late addition hops, but I understand how much you're using is typical of 2oz. packages sold at LHBS, If you have more use them late, if not, no worries. Also, I did replace a lb of Extract w/ sugar, on suggestion form AnOldUr, (who also uses Pacman, as I do) to help it ferment out, seems to have helped w/ attenuation. And there is enough "meat" in this to cover it. My Fg has been hovering right around 1.018 for 5 days, so I'm getting ready to bottle as I type. You may find that the amount of hops you've chosen is to your liking. My tasters are def really hoppy. DWRHAHB and you'll love this beer. And maybe next time you can adjust.

Definately make sure that you mean .75lbs not .9oz. That is going to have little impact if only using less than an oz of each grain. Also SSR is a 1.080 beer, doesn't that mean you need 10lbs of extract?

I would up the dry hops. From what i remember, Stone uses the equivalent of 2 ozs of each for a 5 gallon batch. Also, I would stick with wlp001. Their house yeast has characteristics of both 001 and 007, but from my experience, 007 produces a very different beer.

So did you ever brew this? If so, how'd it turn out? What recipe did you end up using?

Thinking of brewing something similar myself so I'd be interested to hear any comments!

Back