STONE... Master of Disguise Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100million

Reaction score
I am working on brewing this..... I really like it and I am looking for some ideas

any thought would be nice .......

I have attached a Beersmith Recipe I have started

I have not figured out the yeast yet. So that is open.

Thanks for all the help

14 lbs Pale Malt (2.0 SRM) 71.8 %
3 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 15.4 %
2 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 10.3 %
8.0 oz Carapils (1.5 SRM) Grain 4 2.6 %
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 9.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 34.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min 8.4 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 mins)
2.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min 2.9 IBUs
4.00 oz Coffee bean (Boil 0.0 mins)
8.00 oz cocoa nibs (Secondary 7.0 days)
4.00 oz Coffee bean (Secondary 5.0 days)

OG 1.089
FG 1.020
IBU 60
SRM 8.7
ABV 9.2

View attachment Master.bsmx

Coffee, I'd look at espresso or Italian roast and maybe "dry bean" it? Adding grounds will change the color a bit.. Unless you course ground it?

I would do a 24hr cold steep with coarsely ground coffee. Then add it to your secondary. 16oz/ 1gal water.
steeping it cold will cut down on the acid.

Have you brewed this yet? I'm working on something similar but I'm going for a little lower OG and will probably use golden promise as the base which tastes a little sweeter/less earthy than others. Pils might be a good choice too.

Any idea with roast flavor with out color?

Check out the brewing details (if you can find them) for the coffee-cream ale, Carton Regular Coffee. It's night and day compared to Stone Master of Disguise. And it has all of that coffee flavor without the harsh roastiness or dark color.

I know they use real coffee beans for cold-brewed coffee. Perhaps lactose sugar for secondary fermentation. It only has 12 IBUs and it's 12% abv.

Have you brewed this yet? I'm working on something similar but I'm going for a little lower OG and will probably use golden promise as the base which tastes a little sweeter/less earthy than others. Pils might be a good choice too.

I just brewed this last night, I used Chinook and Hallertau because I did not have liberty and nugget.... the SRM is about 10

I am going to put about 1 lb of whole bean in the secondary .... what kind of beans? 1/3 lb Ethiopian 1/3 Sumatra 1/3 Guatemala because this is what STONE used on DAYMAN.

I will let you know when it is done.... any Ideas are welcomed

this was the recipe

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.55 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.50 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 31 Jan 2015
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: 10 Gallon BoilerMaker™ (5 gal/19 L)

Mash Ingredients

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 2.2 %
14 lbs Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 62.9 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 12.4 %
ROASTED IN OVEN FOR 2 HOURS
2 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.7 %
ROASTED IN OVEN FOR 2 HOURS
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6 4.5 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 7 2.2 %

Mash Steps

Mash In Add 7.08 gal of water at 158.9 F 148.0 F 60 min
◯ Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 3.84gal) of 168.0 F water
◯
First Wort Hops

0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 17.5 IBUs

◯ Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.55 gal
◯ Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.074 SG

Boil Ingredients

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 31.7 IBUs
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.00 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 8.0 IBUs
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 12 -
2.00 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 4.4 IBUs
4.00 oz Coffee bean (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 14 -
◯ Estimated Post Boil Vol: 6.50 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.089 SG

Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume

2.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 15 -
◯ Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.089 SG)
◯ Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 6.00 gal)
◯ Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 6.00 gal

Secondary Ingredients

8.00 oz cocoa nibs (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 16 -
4.00 oz Coffee bean (Secondary 5.0 days) Spice 17 -

Check out the brewing details (if you can find them) for the coffee-cream ale, Carton Regular Coffee. It's night and day compared to Stone Master of Disguise. And it has all of that coffee flavor without the harsh roastiness or dark color.

I know they use real coffee beans for cold-brewed coffee. Perhaps lactose sugar for secondary fermentation. It only has 12 IBUs and it's 12% abv.

This explains a lot

http://allaboutbeer.com/article/coffee-beers/

Not yet it is still on the yeast cake I had to go to Mexico for a month.... I will let you know in a week what is happening

If you haven't put in the coffee beans yet, STOP!!!!!! I attempted a similar style beer recently and only did 3 oz of whole beans in the secondary. All I can taste is coffee in the beer. I would scale WAY back to close to 1.5 oz of whole bean if I were you.

After having a bottle of Master of Disguise and trying a local Michigan beer by Bravo Zulu called Sumatra Gold, I wanted to try my hand at creating something similar. Here's the recipe I came up with - please keep in mind, this was in no way meant to be a clone of Master of Disguise.

5 Gallon Batch
5.7%
22.2 IBUS

9lbs Golden Promise
1.8lbs Flaked Oats
1lb Crystal 20
12oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1oz EKG 60min
.5oz EKG 20min
US-05

Mashed @ 155F for 60min

4oz Whole Coffee Beans @ Secondary for 5 Days (Kona - Medium-Light Roast)
2oz Cacao Nib @ Secondary for 5 Days

Overall, I think my first attempt turned out really well - though there are a few tweaks I would make in the future. The base beer had a really strong citrus flavor prior to adding any adjuncts to secondary - I actually really enjoyed it, unfortunately the citrus flavor was still present after kegging, though much more subdued thanks to the adjuncts. I will be rebrewing this batch with a different hop, shooting for a lower IBU, and do a steep at <180F for 30min or so with whole coffee beans post boil. All in all, it was a fun beer to do and am nearly done with the keg about 2 weeks later!

GoldenStout.jpg

If you haven't put in the coffee beans yet, STOP!!!!!! I attempted a similar style beer recently and only did 3 oz of whole beans in the secondary. All I can taste is coffee in the beer. I would scale WAY back to close to 1.5 oz of whole bean if I were you.

About the coffee

I did cold French press

I took one cup ground bean and one cup cold water.

I left it in cooler over night and pressed the French press. I got about 1/3 cup of coffee concentrate.

If I did it again I would use 1/4 cup of the concentrate

Before I added it to the beer in the secondary I warmed it up.

The taste is almost perfect.

Here is the research http://www.experimentalbrew.com/.../coffee-and-jalapenos

Drew has helped me out alot

about the Cacao Nibs

I use 3 oz of vodka and 1.5 oz of cacao nibs

I personal think I need a little more chocolate taste... So I am adding 3 oz and 1.5 oz of cacao nibs. Remember when you let it soak in the cooler for 4 day the amount of liquid you get is about 1.5 oz

This is where I got all the research http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/cacao-nib-extract-drew-way

Thanks Drew

I have not carbonated it yet. I need to clarify if some because all of the roasted oats and barley flake.

I will take a picture and show you what it looks like...

I am sorry I have not reported back sooner, I have been in Mexico for a month...

Picture will be following soon

Chris

After having a bottle of Master of Disguise and trying a local Michigan beer by Bravo Zulu called Sumatra Gold, I wanted to try my hand at creating something similar. Here's the recipe I came up with - please keep in mind, this was in no way meant to be a clone of Master of Disguise.

5 Gallon Batch
5.7%
22.2 IBUS

9lbs Golden Promise
1.8lbs Flaked Oats
1lb Crystal 20
12oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1oz EKG 60min
.5oz EKG 20min
US-05

Mashed @ 155F for 60min

4oz Whole Coffee Beans @ Secondary for 5 Days (Kona - Medium-Light Roast)
2oz Cacao Nib @ Secondary for 5 Days

Overall, I think my first attempt turned out really well - though there are a few tweaks I would make in the future. The base beer had a really strong citrus flavor prior to adding any adjuncts to secondary - I actually really enjoyed it, unfortunately the citrus flavor was still present after kegging, though much more subdued thanks to the adjuncts. I will be rebrewing this batch with a different hop, shooting for a lower IBU, and do a steep at <180F for 30min or so with whole coffee beans post boil. All in all, it was a fun beer to do and am nearly done with the keg about 2 weeks later!

Mr Big

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-dcKYMH7s[/ame]

This might help

Well I just thief some of the MoD beer Clone off the carboy and I don't think I am going to have to do any clarifying. It taste REALLY GOOD.

We did a side by side taste with the real thing and I am going to say mine has more mouth feel, about the same chocolate taste, a tad more coffee taste with out the Jalapeno or veggy taste, and it is a tad sweeter then Original MoD.

I will take another pic after I carbonate it

Thanks

Chris

MoD beer.jpg

It's been a month. Any updates?

This beer is amazing and perfect balance of mouth feel with chocolate and coffee over tones....

I would love to see someone else make it and tell me what you think.

I still have some in the 6th barrel and it still taste great

:fro::fro::fro:

This beer is amazing and perfect balance of mouth feel with chocolate and coffee over tones....

I would love to see someone else make it and tell me what you think.

I still have some in the 6th barrel and it still taste great

:fro::fro::fro:
What temp did you ferment at?

How did your beer come out? Did you put the coco nibs in then the coffee two days later totaling 7 days? Or did you do them seperate? How did you sanitize both?

Back