Stone clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Looking for a simple STONE IPA clone that is close enough to fool me...

There are a million different recipes for this beer out there, and they're all different.. So obviously, some are better than others..

I tried one once that B3 put together for me.. but it wan't even close.. It was an extract, and was during the hops shortage, so there were substitutions at every step..

I saw the thread of EdWorts about 'guess which one is real?'.. but it wasn't his recipe, and I couldn't find the original... It's a big thread....

I have a recipe from "The best of BYO magazine (250 classic clone recipes)" but I don't know of anyone that's tried it, so I don't know how good of a recipe it is...

It calls for 12.5 lb of 2 row
1 lb of crystal 15
6AAU magnum @90 min
4.5 AAU perle @ 60 mins
2 oz centennial @15 mins
1 oz centennial whole hops (dry hop)
0.5 oz chinook whole hops (dry hop)
irish moss and WLP 002
mash @149, ferment at 66
90 min boil

It's not giving a mash efficiency baseline for this recipe

Anyways, would like something that doesn't require whole hops
if it's out there... (all my hops are pellet)... and maybe a 60 min boil..

But if they're all complex like this, and all require whole hops as a dry hop, I guess I gotta venture into new ground here (never dry hopped before).. even better if I can use dry yeast so I don't have to make a starter (something else I've never done)

Anyways, I'd like to hear the general consensus from those in the know on a good very close STONE IPA clone...

Much g(r)assy-ass

This is Ed's recipe...

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial.

I know AHS sells a Stone IPA clone, and I think it's very close to this....

(love the new signature ;))

This is Ed's recipe...

Single infusion 60 minutes at 153 degrees.

10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

O.G. 1.066
F.G. 1.010

Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial.
Now we're talkin'...

what's the batch size (5 or 5.5)? I need to recalculate the grain bill as Ed has significantly better efficiency than I do.. (mines around 65%)

(love the new signature ;))

Thanks! (I'm assuming you mean the ben franklin one.. )

short of forking out 35 bucks to B3 for a modified corny lid , what's the best way to hang a hop ball inside a corny?

If you want to hang it from the lid, use some nylon fishing line to the ball and a SS hose clamp around the pressure valve bump. You can get more creative with some kind of hook, but I just threaded through the clamp. btw - I just drop a nylon bag in at this point and never take it out until the keg kicks.

short of forking out 35 bucks to B3 for a modified corny lid , what's the best way to hang a hop ball inside a corny?

Buy a box of nylon stockings for like $2, and a roll of nylon string. Sanitize stocking, fill with hops, tie off with string, and tie the string around the dip tube. You probably want to throw a spoon in the stocking too (or anything else heavy enough to keep it submerged).

So I just leave the hop bag in there until I polish off the keg? Or is there a set time to leave it in there?

Now we're talkin'...

what's the batch size (5 or 5.5)? I need to recalculate the grain bill as Ed has significantly better efficiency than I do.. (mines around 65%)

Yeah, I'd probably look at ~12lbs 2-row....

I'm assuming it's 5.5 into the fermenter and 5 into the keg...

So I just leave the hop bag in there until I polish off the keg? Or is there a set time to leave it in there?

That's what I do. Just toss the dryhops into the sanitized bag or teaball, and keep it in the kegerator. I think keeping the keg cold minimizes any grassy flavors, as I've never had a problem. I don't weigh down the bag or anything, when I use a bag.

That's what I do. Just toss the dryhops into the sanitized bag or teaball, and keep it in the kegerator. I think keeping the keg cold minimizes any grassy flavors, as I've never had a problem. I don't weigh down the bag or anything, when I use a bag.

B.S., we all know that dryhopping more than 4-5 days causes grassy flavors.:rolleyes:
001_tt2.gif

I tie unflavored dental floss to my teaballs. Double and twirl it, very strong and will allow the lid to seal. Then you can remove them if you desire, I rarely do.

_

I tie unflavored dental floss to my teaballs. Double and twirl it, very strong and will allow the lid to seal. Then you can remove them if you desire, I rarely do.
_

So you tie the floss to the 'outside' of the lid, and run it inside past the gasket?

Back