Stone 14th Emperical IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZWood15

Reaction score
Anyone else had this? I grabbed it from my local liquor store tonight and split it with a buddy. Very interesting. Its an english style IIPA with EKG and Fuggles all over. My favorite thing though was the color, a beautifully brilliant orage-ish color that I would love to replicate... Also some interesting hops in it, Boadicea - haven't found much about them...

Interesting video from the brewers:
http://beernews.org/2010/04/stone-14th-anniversary-emperial-ipa-coming-in-june/

I tried this the week after they arrived at our local beer stop. It was different, and not at all what I expected. The 22 that we split had more of a heavily hopped english sour taste, is this common for an English style IPA? Also tried an old guardian barley whine and a smoked porter from stone. They were fantastic!

I tried it, liked it but would not buy again. I'm not a hop head but appreciate high ibu beers. I cooed still taste bitter hops the next morning and even had a beer after.

I bought one 3 weeks ago but haven't had the occasion to pull it out... just waiting for a time when I am not going to need to taste anything else for a while.

I've heard good and bad things about it. I bought one a couple weeks ago but haven't opened it yet. Hopefully it'll be better than last year's anniversary beer.

bought a couple bottles. drank one about a 6 weeks ago when i could first get it and it didn't seem balanced at all, maybe not their intention, but it was not one of their better ones. was kind of dissapointed. Maybe once it's aged a little, it may be better, but would not recommend it to buy for just for drinking - maybe cellaring.

Stone is usually against against because of lost hop freshness over time. I'm pretty sure with stone bow the beer tastes now is how thy intend it to be drank.

Yeah, I believe the bottle or two that I have had actually said something about drink fresh.

I thought it was a great beer, different from the citrus IPA bombs that seem to be the norm. I also had it on tap at the gingerman in austin, and it was mighty tasty there too. I did not find it as paint-strippingly bitter like ruination.

I had the 14th Anniversary Stone ale on tap. Was OK. Best way I could describe it was a summer IPA. I got alot of citrus from the hops. I had the first pull from the keg so maybe I just got more freshness....lol

I guess I'll have to crack open another one this weekend and see how it fairs. Maybe I was a little congested or something that day. Still don't think I'll be blown away, but I'll give her a chance.

I drank mine lastnight, it was just ok (tasted slightly better after sitting for about 5min or so), but it left me with an unusual amount of heartburn and I had the worst headache in months the next morning. Almost never ever get headaches from drinking unless its really cheap wine or cheap vodka.

Latest posts

Back