Stirring the Mash in Cooler Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I've got my cooler conversion done and really looking forward to my first all grain. I'll hit my strike temperature and drop the lid. When does the lid come back up? Do I stir at all prior to draining in 90 minutes?

I plan to follow the technique whereas I drain into a clear jug until I see the wort run clear, dump that cloudy draw off back into the tun, repeat until the wort runs clear, then drain it all out. At that point, calculate how much batch sparge water I need to hit my pre-boil volume, get that water to a temperature that will get my grain back to 165F, let sit for 20 minutes, re-do the clear jug technique, drain and be done.

Is that all there is to it?

Your process will work fine, I don't stir at all during the initial mash, I use the amount of water absorbed by the grain as my mashout water, I bring it to a boil and pour it in and stir, then let it sit 10 minutes before draining anything, this brings the grain temp up a bit to stop conversion.

Then it is a simple matter of figuring out how much water you need to sparge with to hit your preboil volume. as for that grain absorption, I figure 1 pint per pound of grain.

You do need to stir really well when you first dough in to prevent any dry clumps, after that though, just close the lid and come back when the timer goes off.

The guys over at Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment to see if stirring the mash helped increase efficiency. While people reported mixed results, in regards to efficiency, everyone noted a significant drop in temperature (this does not apply to kettle mash tuns).
As was stated earlier. Just dough-in and stir to break up any clumps and then cover and leave it be.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

you drain your initial strike water... After that you add your 2nd batch of water... You want to stir again and then vorlauf right?

I was wondering this myself as I'm doing my first AG this weekend and have seen so many people say they just stir initially and leave it for the hour. In Palmer's How to Brew book he says to stir to prevent cold spots but that doesn't seem to make much sense - meaning the cold spots. Good to see many just stir it the one time and seal it up for the hour. That's what I'm going to go with. So thanks for this thread and the feedback!

Rev.

Not to contradict on purpose, but I usually stir several times during the mash with a paint stirring attachment for a drill. It seems to help my efficiency to do this. Others may have completely different experiences, but the grain that is touching the sides and bottom of the cooler (as well as the air space), may be at a different temperature that the center of the grain (after sitting for a while). Mixing it helps to even this out. I stir initially, then at 20 mins, 40 mins, and just prior to mash out. I pop a coffee cup full of water in the microwave, zap it for 3 mins, then dump it into the cooler just prior to mixing. This helps offset any heat I lose by opening the cooler a couple times during the mash.

Although last weekend, I mashed a Belgian Strong Ale for close to 2 hrs with no stirring at all. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter as long as you mix very well when doughing in.

I was wondering this myself as I'm doing my first AG this weekend and have seen so many people say they just stir initially and leave it for the hour. In Palmer's How to Brew book he says to stir to prevent cold spots but that doesn't seem to make much sense - meaning the cold spots. Good to see many just stir it the one time and seal it up for the hour. That's what I'm going to go with. So thanks for this thread and the feedback!

Rev.

Stirring helps to even out the temp after you mash in so I guess it prevent cold spots in that respect. I use a 36 qt MLT and I regularly see +/- 3F from one side of the tun to the other.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the center of the top and making some kind of paddle whose shaft would come through it and attach to a drill for the occasional stirring. That would eliminate having to open it up to stir. I guess one could open up in mid mash and test the temperature at different spots to see if there really is any stratification or "cold spots." I have a very accurate industrial electronic meter that could probably spot a few degrees difference. Perhaps a future project...

Back