Stirring of wort for aeration and proper mixture of top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thornton33

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just brewed last night and forgot to aerate before pitching. I have activity in the air lock so I'm not too concerned about fermentation, but I read somewhere that a wort not properly stirred can give inaccurate gravity readings. Thoughts and or other matters for concern?

That's correct, if you're adding top off water you want to mke sure it's mixed up very well before taking a gravity reading.

If the wort isn't mixed in well enough with the freah water you're gravity may read lower than it actually is.

Do you know if a poorly ”mixed” wort will have problems fermenting (aside from aeration concerns). For instance, pockets of sugar equating to pockets of alcohol? Would it all work itself out if/when I transfer to secondary?

I wouldn't imagine there'd be a problem with fermentation, like you said it's already going.

As far as i know, the only issue is getting a skewed gravity reading, as you are likely to pull more fresh water, than fully mixed wort.

The yeast are there, the sugars are there ... shouldn't be any issues.

I hit target gravity, so I assume the original gravity was spot on (it was an extract kit). Thanks for the feedback on this.

Hey folks,

I just brewed last night and forgot to aerate before pitching. I have activity in the air lock so I'm not too concerned about fermentation, but I read somewhere that a wort not properly stirred can give inaccurate gravity readings. Thoughts and or other matters for concern?

Yes, it could cause your OG to be off. No, once fermentation starts everything gets stirred up and churned really well.

Back