Stirred wort after pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
I lost my mind and stirred the F out of my wort after pitching in the yeast. I've read that's a no no as the yeast get pissed.
Did I just screw up this batch?

If you pitched liquid yeast it will need oxygen added to the wort so stirring is beneficial before fermentation starts. The oxygen won't hurt if you used dry yeast but it isn't really needed then.

When stirring is detrimental is after the fementation has started. Then it can lead to oxidation of the beer leading to staling. The exception to this is when you are making a barleywine and the yeast need more cells produced. In that case you can stir in oxygen after fermentation has started provided you do it very early in the fermentation.

When stirring is detrimental is after the fementation has started. Then it can lead to oxidation of the beer leading to staling. The exception to this is when you are making a barleywine and the yeast need more cells produced. In that case you can stir in oxygen after fermentation has started provided you do it very early in the fermentation.
🤔 wouldn’t this only be an issue after fermentation is complete / near completion? My thinking is the fermenter is full of CO2 so that wouldn’t get restirred into the beer and any residual O2 in actively fermenting wort can be used by the yeast. Post fermentation O2 can’t be utilized so it oxidizes? 🤷‍♂️

I lost my mind and stirred the F out of my wort after pitching in the yeast. I've read that's a no no as the yeast get pissed.
Did I just screw up this batch?
You're all good! My only concern would be loss of yeast cells to whatever you stirred with, due to sticking to it, if it's a dry pitch.

Otherwise, fermentation will be fine! Just don't stir it up too aggressively post-fermentation 😅

You have gotten your answer and I will only add that when I put in my dry yeast I give it a quick easy stir or just agitate the fermenting bucket a bit to get things going. Once you set it down after that, no moving or stirring. That is when things go awry. LOL

As long as you do it before the kraeusen is very active then you can probably do as much stirring, aerating, shaking or anything else you wish to do to your wort/beer that doesn't also contaminate it.

I quite frequently even agitate my beer after the kraeusen by moving the FV to swirl the beer inside the FV to remove leftover foam and crud sticking to the side above the beer surface level. But only when it's remained sealed up and I'm reasonably sure the headspace is CO2. If I ever break that seal, then I'm careful to not cause movement of the beer any more than it takes to transfer for bottling.

Back