Stir plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think my next step in the quest to “save money while brewing“ ;) is to start doing yeast starters. My question is how much does the store plate matter for what we’re doing. Can it be something is inexpensive as this?

INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer with stir bar (No Heating) Max Stirring Capacity: 3000ml: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

For what it’s worth, I typically do small batches around 3 gallons. However, I tend to do higher ABV beers like Belgian doubles or triples. Thinking about even trying a quad sometime soon.

The stir plate you linked will definitely work. If you check the reviews, there are even people that have posted pictures using it for this very purpose.
Edit: although it does seem there are a good number of poor reviews too, so take it with a grain of salt.

My stir plate is simply a repurposed computer fan mounted in a cigar box with a hard drive magnet glue to it. I use a potentiometer to control the speed.

Hope this helps! :mug:

I have two of the ones you linked - both work great - upon buying the 2nd plate, I had to have amazon replace it because it did not work out of box. I have had one of them for 1.5y and the other for probably 8 mo. they do not take the very large flasks and sometimes kick the stir bar but overall I am pleased with the cost/performance

Another stir plate to consider.

I have one and it works well for 2L starters.
Here's a direct link ( Stir Starters: Yeast stir plate for the home brewer )to the "Manufacturer's" website. I'm fairly certain it's a small operation and when I bought mine there was a nice little note in the box from the owner. I love my stir starter and it's extremely competitively priced in my opinion. Not sure what his business relations are with the other big brew sites, but I would imagine he/she makes a little more money if you buy directly from him vs a big website. I could be completely wrong though.

I got my current one from MoreBeer when my first one died.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/compact-magnetic-stir-plate.html
I'd also recommend getting a 3L flask (I use that the most). You can make 1L or 2L starters in it easily. Trying to make a 2L starter (or even 1-1/2L starter) in a 2L flask is asking for trouble.

I'm also using the foam stoppers from Northern Brewer in my flask(s). I like those a lot more than the foil method, or anything else. Especially since the pores in the stopper are small enough to prevent anything going inside. With the foil method, you have to leave a gap, which means something could get into the starter. IMO, not worth the risk.

BTW, I have three flasks. 2L, 3L and 5L. Can't recall the last time I used the 5L (if I ever did). If I'm doing a stepped starter, I use the 3L since I often go with a 2L starter size for one of the steps.

The reviews are pretty bad on that thing but you'll likely not need to stir anything more than 1.5 liters unless you get into lagers.

The reviews gave me some pause but I don't think I'd be making big starters so I didn't know if that's good enough. I just don't see the point in an expensive stir plate.

I'll check out the other suggestions as well. Thanks guys!

I'm also using the foam stoppers from Northern Brewer in my flask(s). I like those a lot more than the foil method, or anything else. Especially since the pores in the stopper are small enough to prevent anything going inside. With the foil method, you have to leave a gap, which means something could get into the starter. IMO, not worth the risk.

I've had fruit flies get into a flask due to foil and dumped that. I also had a bunch of ants get into a starter but the beer was already made by the time I noticed so I pitched it in ants and all. Oddly enough that beer won a silver medal. It was called Arthropod Vortex.

I've had fruit flies get into a flask due to foil and dumped that. I also had a bunch of ants get into a starter but the beer was already made by the time I noticed so I pitched it in ants and all. Oddly enough that beer won a silver medal. It was called Arthropod Vortex.
Bugs in the starter, not snakes on the plane, is why I use the foam stopper. Never had a single thing get into the flask when those were in place.

I'll be making a starter this weekend so that I can brew next weekend. Planning a imperial stout for the coming batch (somewhere around 10% ABV) so I'll probably do two starter steps with a single pack of yeast. I should have gone to the LHBS last weekend and picked it up, but other things took priority.

I've also had the Yeast book for more than a few years. Very good information in that, which gives the reasons for making starters, using pure O2 to oxygenate the wort, and more.

I used a homemade stir plate for a few beers making 1 liter starters and saving some for next brew. Then life got busy and brews far apart. 10 gallon batches btw. Now I just make starters and swirl them by hand when I walk by.

I respectfully disagree. I have tried both foil and foam. I much prefer foil. I've had 1L starters in 2L flasks which foamed enough after the stir plate turned off automatically after 18 hours that it fouled the foam stopper. I feel like there's a greater risk of infection with the foam. There is very little chance that a meaningful quantity of unwanted microbes is going slip up the foil cap and down into the wort during fermentation, even before it actively starts. I've used foil countless times without incident.

I respectfully disagree. I have tried both foil and foam. I much prefer foil. I've had 1L starters in 2L flasks which foamed enough after the stir plate turned off automatically after 18 hours that it fouled the foam stopper. I feel like there's a greater risk of infection with the foam. There is very little chance that a meaningful quantity of unwanted microbes is going slip up the foil cap and down into the wort during fermentation, even before it actively starts. I've used foil countless times without incident.
Just like I've used the foam stoppers numerous times without incident. You have to be certain to get the stopper that's a TIGHT fit (Tuco tight) and not one that's just a little larger than the opening. The LHBS sells the smaller diameter ones that will easily fall into the flask. IME, that's no good. I also add some Fermcap to the starters to avoid excessive foaming. Even adding 2L of fresh starter wort on top of the cake from the first step leaves plenty of room that way (in a 3L flask).

In the end, just making starters (with stir plates) is a vast improvement over just pitching a liquid yeast pack. I'll never go back to NOT using a stir plate for starters. IME, it's a hell of a lot less work to use the stir plate than to do the 'swirl when I walk by' method. Starters are also done a LOT faster, with higher growth rates.

i had this stir plate for about 2 years before the motor died, worked well even with a 3L flask full to the top when cleaning:
1637160124496.png

and found the below motors that are a perfect fit as a replacement, except the shaft is a little shorter bringing the magnets a bit closer to the motor:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000...&terminal_id=f12ba4e5d0994129a08211076c109feb

Back