Stir Plate for 5000ml Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
I wanted to get a stir plate to use with my 5000 ml flask. Any suggestions? Seems like most stir plates aren't strong enough.

I made one with this fan, a bunch of rare earth magnets (took 6 to get the right height/strength), and a cheap cigar box ordered off Amazon. Stirs a 5L plate quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made one with this fan, a bunch of rare earth magnets (took 6 to get the right height/strength), and a cheap cigar box ordered off Amazon. Stirs a 5L plate quite well.

Thanks for that link. I was looking for a fan that would be strong enough, as I want to build a stir plate that can do lager starters.

Any other tips on building it? I see that this one is USB powered... I assume that you still hooked it to a normal AC adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link. I was looking for a fan that would be strong enough, as I want to build a stir plate that can do lager starters.

Any other tips on building it? I see that this one is USB powered... I assume that you still hooked it to a normal AC adapter?

It plugs into a USB wall charger that most phones come with nowadays, so no crossing wires or soldering. I got one from somewhere for about $3. The speed controller can be easily moved by removing a screw. It's a good idea to try to perfectly center a big washer (I used a cheap zinc plated one one) onto to the fan and then glue your magnets onto that. I used three neodynium magnets stacked up, but alternately you could probably just raise the height of the fan a bit to just use two. The more stacked up the stronger they are though.

YxjSxnU.jpg

QayafRV.jpg

It plugs into a USB wall charger that most phones come with nowadays, so no crossing wires or soldering. I got one from somewhere for about $3. The speed controller can be easily moved by removing a screw. It's a good idea to try to perfectly center a big washer (I used a cheap zinc plated one one) onto to the fan and then glue your magnets onto that. I used three neodynium magnets stacked up, but alternately you could probably just raise the height of the fan a bit to just use two. The more stacked up the stronger they are though.

YxjSxnU.jpg

QayafRV.jpg

Nice,thanks!

Back