Still Going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranger13

Reaction score
OK all this is the first time I have posted on this website, but it look like a good one. I have been homebrewing for about 1 year now and have always done beers that come out in the middle of the road when talking about ABV. This time I went and brewed a High Gravity Beer (Rochefort 10) form the book BEER CAPTURED. The brewing went fine and I put into the Primary and used pure O2 on it and now this stuff is going NUTS. It have beer in the Primary for about 9 days now and is still just bubbling away. The book said to rake it off to the secondary after 7 days but this being the 9th day and the airlock is still going like a mad man, I think i need to wait. The air lock is bubbling every 3 seconds still, the question I have is should I wait untell it slows some or just rake it anyways? The OG was 1.109 I pitched one smack pack of Wyeast 3787 at 70deg. Thanks for the info in advance.

Big beers simply take longer. Longer in primary, longer in secondary, longer to age to maturity. Be sure fermentation is complete before bottling. I've gotten impatient with some big Belgians in the past, bottled too soon and had bottle bombs........

I guess that because this is the first time doing a big beer I am a little unsure. I fully expect to not be drinking this one untell oct sometime.

You will definatly need to wait it out. You want to give the yeast a chance ot attenuate all the sugar like it is supposed to. If you don't it will come out very malty and syrupy. I had that happen to a wee-heavy that i did and wound up having to cut it with water to make it drinkable.

Cheers

wop31 said:
You will definatly need to wait it out. You want to give the yeast a chance ot attenuate all the sugar like it is supposed to. If you don't it will come out very malty and syrupy. I had that happen to a wee-heavy that i did and wound up having to cut it with water to make it drinkable.

Very true. Big heavy beers take a long time to atenuate, and if drunk/bottled to early you will get a crappy tasting bottle bomb :) The thing with Homebrew is that you need to assess your beer according to you. Even the exact same recipe brewed in Aus will brew out differently. We can give you general pointers, but in the end you need to assess when you think fermentation is done. Then rack into secondary, then bottle when you think appropriate!

This doesnt mean we wont answer any questions you have though!

:mug:

ranger13 said:
OK all this is the first time I have posted on this website, but it look like a good one. I have been homebrewing for about 1 year now and have always done beers that come out in the middle of the road when talking about ABV. This time I went and brewed a High Gravity Beer (Rochefort 10) form the book BEER CAPTURED. The brewing went fine and I put into the Primary and used pure O2 on it and now this stuff is going NUTS. It have beer in the Primary for about 9 days now and is still just bubbling away. The book said to rake it off to the secondary after 7 days but this being the 9th day and the airlock is still going like a mad man, I think i need to wait. The air lock is bubbling every 3 seconds still, the question I have is should I wait untell it slows some or just rake it anyways? The OG was 1.109 I pitched one smack pack of Wyeast 3787 at 70deg. Thanks for the info in advance.
The book says to:
"Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter."
ROT for "until fermentation slows" is 1 bubble per minute. RDWHAHB, that's a big beer and it will need a little time.

Good luck,
Wild

I know what the book said, but by the looks of it, the beer will not slow for another week at least. That mean to me that it sill slow somewhere around 7day +/- a few days. Not 3 weeks. Sometime I wish that the book would be alittle more accuarte, but I know that there are alot of variable that could cuase the fermentation to go on. Also I thank you for the 1 bubble per min thing I have looked all over for what f(ermentaion slow means) and have never heard a number. I know that this is not exact but it will work.
Thanks

Let her go! When she slows to once a minute or so, rack...

Has all the yeast settled to the bottom or is there still some floating around?

:mug:

No there is still alot of yeast on top. So I will let it sit and brew something else. I will check in a few days or so. But I think that it will be going for some time. I must of pitch one hell of a batch of yeast into it. But thats good. I will let them eat them selfs to death.

Latest posts

Back