Stevia and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibbly

Reaction score
Can I sweeten with stevia and a ferments le sugar to produce a sweet fizzy cider or will stevia interfere with carbonation?

Ya you should be fine. I kind of want to know how this turns out because I'd like to do the same thing. I grow my own stevia. Some people say it has a funny taste though but I like it. Remember it's several times sweeter than sugar so don't over sweeten the cider.

I made my first cider batch with stevia and added corn sugar for bottle conditioning.... And took second place in a competition with it. If I'm not kegging my batch then I always go the stevia route.

Everyone around me is cautioning and re cautioning me that stevia has a strange taste, sweet but not sugary. Does the stevia sweet brew taste funny?

I grow Stevia amongst my herb garden and when I pick the leaf it has a licquorice flavour, given me an idea for my Pontefract oatmeal stout.

Bumping this up in hope that anyone can comment on Stevia as a substitute for Lactose...

In what way? Stevia will sweeten, but not give body/a thicker viscosity like lactose would.

I'm interested in the sweetening attribute of Lactose, and looking at Stevia and Splenda as possible alternatives. For adding body I can use maltodextrin, oats or a combination of the two, no?

Back