Stepping up a wild sacc saison blend (dregs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I like saving bottle dregs and stepping up and harvesting for later use. My typical process involves stepping up, crashing/decanting, then saving the slurry in a 250ml jar with sterile water, similar to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

I recently harvested some and emailed the yeast lab that cultured it. They said there is definitely viable yeast. It's their wild sacc saison blend. They said while in barrels it picked up some wild brett and its acidity "lends to some spontaneous lacto infection as well." I know I can step it up in high IBU wort to suppress the lacto if I want to.

My question is about stepping up and harvesting this yeast per my usual process linked above. I've read that brett and bugs don't crash out like sacc does. Is this entirely true? If so, should I not decant? Obviously I would need to decant at some point. Just don't want to lose all my brett and bugs. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back