Stepping up a starter in a 1L flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothorentropy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question regarding stepping up a starter. I'm making an IPA this weekend with a target OG of 1.075; according to the Brewers Friend calc (http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/) I need 379bb cells for a good, healthy fermentation. My question is this: given that I only have a 1 liter Erlenmeyer flask, can I do a multi-step/stepped-up starter to get as close to that number as possible, even though I will likely undershoot the total recommended volume and cell count? Is it worthwhile to make a .5L starter and step it up to a 1L? My starter will be made with 1 White Labs vial and stirred continuously with a stir plate in the 1L flask. Am I better off just making a 1L starter off the bat, or doing a two stage step up? I realize that that total volume of the starter affects the health and propagation rate of the yeast, but I've looked around and haven't seen much of anything regarding best practices when making a starter in a small vessel. Thanks in advance!

Go with a starter as large as possible, go for 24 hrs., chill 8 hrs, do another, repeat until final decanting. You will still not have the optimal cells, as each step you only grow by 50% of the original starter.

Other method, do 2 1L starters with 2 yeast packs. That'll get you there.

Stir plate would also help greatly, as would o2 injection.

Back