Step up starter for a Doppelbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a Doppelbock with an expected OG of 1.087 and I'm looking for guidance on making a yeast starter for it. I have 1 pack of Wyeast 2487 - Hella Bock and was expecting to use just that to make a starter, but I ran the numbers through Mr. Malty and it sounds like I should be starting with more than 1 packet if I want to do just 1 starter.

Can I do a step-up starter for this instead of buying more yeast, and if so what size starters would I do?

Yes, I stepped up my starter for my oktoberfest. If you are using mr malty to calculate, you have to work backwards. First calc as normal, find out how many yeast packages it says you need, I think with mine it said 3. From there play with the numbers to create a starter that will calc out to 3 packages without a starter. Maitre that first to give you the amount of yeast to make the full starter.
Hope that wording made sense.

Yes, I stepped up my starter for my oktoberfest. If you are using mr malty to calculate, you have to work backwards. First calc as normal, find out how many yeast packages it says you need, I think with mine it said 3. From there play with the numbers to create a starter that will calc out to 3 packages without a starter. Maitre that first to give you the amount of yeast to make the full starter.
Hope that wording made sense.

That does make sense, thanks! I had read about working backwards, but for some reason couldn't figure out how, now it all makes sense.

Good, I hope your beer turns out terrific.
Got to love this hobby!

Back