Step Mashes for Full Volume Direct Fired eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Schwarzbier and pils combo soon (one mash with specialty grains steeped and separate boils). I found a recipe (thanks to TX_Brewing! ) here with a grain bill that will easily work for both beers since it's mostly pils malt.

The mash schedule calls for 30 minutes at 133 then an infusion to 157 and a 30 minute rest there. My question is How should I alter this seeing as I won't be able to immediately jump from 133 to 157 and I am doing full volume Biab?

1) Cut the rest times to 25 minutes each assuming a 10 minute ramp time.

2) Calculate strike volume to account for a separately boiled infusion, assuming that leaves enough strike water to adequately cover the grain suspended in my bag-lined steamer basket. This would be no sparge but not full volume any more, at least for half the mash. Even if an infusion only gets me half way there, it will shorten the ramp time.

3) Otherwise recalculate rest times since some claim FVBIAB has quicker conversion rates. If this is the way to go, what would an appropriately converted schedule look like?

Finally, does this look like a schedule that will work for both beers? I am not very familiar with step mashing, so I don't know if this will be too full bodied for a pils.

How much wattage do you have in your kettle again? I recently did a 140-150 step with my 5500W eBIAB and it went buy in just a few minutes. No problems at all applying heat during the mash if you stir constantly. And I mean 100% of the time no breaks. I'd feel confident doing a 133-157 ramp that way personally.

Also do you have beersmith? It can calculate the infusion steps for you, and how many quarts of near-boiling water you'd need to jump up. It won't take as much as you think, you could hold some back for the last half of the mash and be a-ok.

I am planning on brewing a Schwarzbier and pils combo soon (one mash with specialty grains steeped and separate boils). I found a recipe (thanks to TX_Brewing! ) here with a grain bill that will easily work for both beers since it's mostly pils malt.

The mash schedule calls for 30 minutes at 133 then an infusion to 157 and a 30 minute rest there. My question is How should I alter this seeing as I won't be able to immediately jump from 133 to 157 and I am doing full volume Biab?

1) Cut the rest times to 25 minutes each assuming a 10 minute ramp time.

2) Calculate strike volume to account for a separately boiled infusion, assuming that leaves enough strike water to adequately cover the grain suspended in my bag-lined steamer basket. This would be no sparge but not full volume any more, at least for half the mash. Even if an infusion only gets me half way there, it will shorten the ramp time.

3) Otherwise recalculate rest times since some claim FVBIAB has quicker conversion rates. If this is the way to go, what would an appropriately converted schedule look like?

Finally, does this look like a schedule that will work for both beers? I am not very familiar with step mashing, so I don't know if this will be too full bodied for a pils.

Those are all good ideas. I like the idea of cutting the first time down, maybe even to just 5 or 10 minutes. There is also the 4th option:

4) Skip the dang protein rest. It's not doing what you think it's doing. It's basically just a low temperature beta rest, really. Then either:

4A) Do a rest in the 140s instead, or

4B) Just do a single infusion.

You're the master. Do what you think is best. Personally I'd toy with the options 4A and 4B above. It will make life a lot easier, with no real perceptible loss in character.

How much wattage do you have in your kettle again? I recently did a 140-150 step with my 5500W eBIAB and it went buy in just a few minutes. No problems at all applying heat during the mash if you stir constantly. And I mean 100% of the time no breaks. I'd feel confident doing a 133-157 ramp that way personally.

Also do you have beersmith? It can calculate the infusion steps for you, and how many quarts of near-boiling water you'd need to jump up. It won't take as much as you think, you could hold some back for the last half of the mash and be a-ok.

I don't have bs, but would use green Bay Rackers to calculate. I also have a 5500w element, so maybe it wouldn't make much difference. You think I need to stir rather than just recirc, though?

Those are all good ideas. I like the idea of cutting the first time down, maybe even to just 5 or 10 minutes. There is also the 4th option:

4) Skip the dang protein rest. It's not doing what you think it's doing. It's basically just a low temperature beta rest, really. Then either:

4A) Do a rest in the 140s instead, or

4B) Just do a single infusion.

You're the master. Do what you think is best. Personally I'd toy with the options 4A and 4B above. It will make life a lot easier, with no real perceptible loss in character.

I'm just using that schedule because it came with the recipe. I know a lot of people are down on protein rests. I also realize that the reason for a 30 minute rest there was also to get some beta action. From what I've been reading step mashing is a good way to increase both body and fermentability of the wort, so that's why I want to do one for these German styles. Even if I did a higher beta rest, I guess my questions still apply on converting an infusion schedule to direct fired ramp schedule.

I don't have bs, but would use green Bay Rackers to calculate. I also have a 5500w element, so maybe it wouldn't make much difference. You think I need to stir rather than just recirc, though?

I do step mashes while recirculating quite a bit. I also stir every 15 minutes or so for the heck of it.

Back