Step Mash/Sparge Water Shortage Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
I am attempting to brew Jamil's Helles Bock which calls for a multi step infusion mash (this will be my first multi step). In crunching my numbers for the various steps, I end up with just over 2 gallons for sparging in order to hit my 8 gallon boil mark. I am using 12.25 lbs of grain. My question is, will 2 gallons adequately rinse/sparge that much grain?

Next question. On the recipe under the sparge it says that the sparge was for 60 minutes but doesn't say whether it was a batch sparge or fly sparge. In the past, I have only done batch sparges and only for around 20 minutes.

Lastly, should I assume my efficiency (mid 80s) is going to drop in doing a multi-step mash since I have never done one and will likely be off on my numbers a tad?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

S/F,

J8D:rockin:

You can adjust your water down to the bare minimum necessary to get the grain wet (a really thick mash to start with), and then work up for there. It might give you a bit more water to sparge with. You could also recirculate a couple gallons instead of a couple quarts for vorlauf, which would rinse more sugars.

Jamil assumes a 70% efficiency and fly sparging. You will probably be OK if you batch sparge in the 80s. I would suggest taking an SG reading before you start your boil, and adjusting from there: if you have a high SG reading, shorten your boil (or add water at the end); if you have a low reading, boil longer and settle for a smaller batch (or add extract to make up the difference).

GMesick,

Thank you for the informative response. With your recommendation I went back in and set my Protein Rest water/grain ratio down to 1.00. I end up being at ratio of 1.5 for the Sach rest and 2.03 after the Mash Out. This will leave me with around 3.5 gallons to sparge with. This is not quite half of my total boil volume though (8 gal). As you recommended, I will stick with the batch sparge since I am familiar with it. Do the above numbers sound good? Thanks again for the skinny.

S/F,

J8D

Back