Steeping Grains - How To?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBW

Reaction score
I would appreciate guidance on the optimal procedure for steeping grains using a kit containing both crushed grains & LME.

When steeping, do I actively "bob", "agitate", or "swirl" the mesh grain bag? Or do I just let the mesh grain bag sit in the water for the approx. 20 minutes?

Also, do I need to gently rinse or "sparge" the grain bag after draining into the wort?

Any feedback would be great! Thx!

I have a 5 gallon nylon grain bag I use for steeping & partial mash. It allows me to stretch the top of the bag over the lip of my 5 gallon SS kettle. I then am able to stir the crushed grains to break up any dough balls & evenly wet them. After a 30 minute steep at 155-160F, I dunk sparge & stir a bit, letting it sit in the sparge water kettle for 10 minutes @ 170F. Drain & add to main wort to get my total boil volume.

If it is a kit it should come with a muslin bag to transfer to grains to. bring about 1.5-2gallons to about 155, then turn off the heat and cover with lid. You should not have to do anything else to it just ket it sit for atleast 20-25min. You can sparge with a small amout of hot water. I wouldn't worry about how much or at what temp unless it is a partial mash.

I tend to gently swirl the bag of steeping grains a couple of times and then pour some warm water over the suspended bag just to get all that I can out of them.

I tend to gently swirl the bag of steeping grains a couple of times and then pour some warm water over the suspended bag just to get all that I can out of them.

I also stir the bag a few times as it steeps to make sure all the grain is evenly wet and there are no lumps in the bag. I also sweep the bottom of the boil kettle with the bag to remove any fine grains which may have stuck during the heating.
The pH of water is high. High pH combined with temperatures over 170° can extract tannins from the grain husks. For safety I steep up to 165° for 30 minutes. I pour a half gallon of 170° water through the bag, with bag suspended in a strainer, to help with the color a flavor extraction.

Steeping grains as we speak.
I dump them in the muslin bag, submerge it in the water then pull it up and down several times, expanding it, to ensure the water comes in contact with the entire bag full.
Then I tie off to the handle and let it sit 30 minutes at about 155.

I've been throwing mine in around 130 and letting them hang while the kettle gets up to about 170. After reading these and some others, sounds like the way to go is to pop them in at about 155-160 and turn off the heat and let them soak.

I don't see any harm in sparging them either.

I did a NB Dead Ringer Ipa extract kit, steeped the grains in a gallon of water for 30 minutes, the sparred with another gallon of water poured through the top of the bag. Overshot my anticipated OG but it sure taste good.

I've been throwing mine in around 130 and letting them hang while the kettle gets up to about 170. After reading these and some others, sounds like the way to go is to pop them in at about 155-160 and turn off the heat and let them soak.

I don't see any harm in sparging them either.

Your method of steeping is fine. However, if you ever decide to go all grain, then the temperature becomes critical as you will need to activate enzymes to convert the starch to sugars and they are only active from about 145 to 160F. If you practice getting the water to the tight temperature when steeping it will be very easy to go on to all grain.

I usually steep for 30 minutes at 155F. I let the grain bag absorb the water and float it up and down like a tea bag. Every 5 minutes I do this and allow some to drain and then reabsorb. I haven't ever sparged and always have met or exceeded my OG. Tying the knot at the end of the bag is key to allowing the grains to "float" within the bag allowing more water to flow thru.

Yesterday I ran across an interview in BYO with Sam Calgione. He gave recipes for a few Dogfish Head brews and in each one his technique was to place the steeping bag in cold water and begin heating, then remove it when the temp hits 170. I haven't done this but I think it's interesting. Thoughts anyone?

I brewed my first batch last weekend and steeped my grains in the supplied muslin bag at 155°F for 30 minutes. I kept my stovetop burner on low and monitored water temp with a thermometer.

Was I supposed to remove the pot from the heat?

I brewed my first batch last weekend and steeped my grains in the supplied muslin bag at 155°F for 30 minutes. I kept my stovetop burner on low and monitored water temp with a thermometer.

Was I supposed to remove the pot from the heat?

It isn't necessary when you are steeping. Taking the pot off the heat is a good idea when you add the malt extract since it is more dense than the water you are adding it to and wants to sink to the bottom of the pot where it can stick and burn some. You can just stir it in without moving the pot but you must stir very vigorously then.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I brewed last night & used this feedback for the steeping process. I can't wait to try this batch!

Latest posts

Back