Steel Cut Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just adding a little to an all-grain, experimenting, I'm new to this hobby. Thanks for responding!

I've used them like yooper does. They seem to be the best quality I can get. I also like to toast the old fashioned rolled oats. I'm not sure what way is better? A light toast brings out the flavor but so does a cereal mash.

I use them for a couple recipes.
They can be mashed, but you'll need to use a lot of rice-hulls. (I don't do it this way anymore)
My best luck has been bagging them in a paint strainer and boiling them for the last 15-30 minutes of a boil.
Seems to add a lot of mouthfeel to a recipe, gives a creamy, fullness to wheat beers that just makes them great.

I use them for a couple recipes.
They can be mashed, but you'll need to use a lot of rice-hulls. (I don't do it this way anymore)
My best luck has been bagging them in a paint strainer and boiling them for the last 15-30 minutes of a boil.
Seems to add a lot of mouthfeel to a recipe, gives a creamy, fullness to wheat beers that just makes them great.

I would think this would add a lot of haze. I though a protein rest was necessary for oats.

I would think this would add a lot of haze. I though a protein rest was necessary for oats.

Yes, I agree. I don't usually do a protein rest, but I don't use flaked oats in lighter colored beers. I use Simpson's Golden Naked Oats in the mash (no protein rest) for light colored beers, but boiling oats in the wort sounds like a major starch haze as the oats wouldn't convert that way.

you can cook them like old fashion oatmeal by themselves on the stove, then add to the main mash for a 50c rest for 15-20 minutes then step to conversion rest(s

+1 to the protein rest. Breaking down complex protein is what this rest is used for, treat the oats like wheat, do a long rest at 122-131 and step infuse to sac rest. You need to gelentinize the starches and then boil to break up the complex protein chains. I think that a decoction mash would be total overkill for this sort of thing but I think that is exactly what a "cereal mash" is. BTW, in no literature to date have I seen the term "cereal mash", not to say that it isn't real and useful but I think that there are other ways to get the same results.

I do not understand keeping the temp at 158 for oats, they have no enzymes to convert, basically you want to make the starches more available, hence the cooking of the oats. The torrified oats, barley, etc... have been split in half, and boiled for a short period of time and dried so their chains don't need to be "cooked" before hand.

Back