Steel Core bullet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Hows it going everyone! I Made a little video showing what a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r surplus steel core round does to a 1" steel block. Please tell me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hows it going everyone! I Made a little video showing what a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r surplus steel core round does to a 1" steel block. Please tell me what you think.

Steel Core vs 1" Steel

My pumpmaster 760 does more damage to a 1" plate of steel from 100 yards.

JK!

Don't think I would want to experience getting stuck by that chunk of steel.

That's what happens when I flick my boogers.
6.jpg
33.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
34.jpg
a31.jpg

Nice! I have a 1936 Mosin and I just picked up one of the 880-round cases of soviet surplus ammo packed in spam cans and the wood crate. It ended up being about $0.22 per round, but I haven't had a chance to go shoot any of it yet.

I've heard that the surplus soviet rounds use corrosive primers, do you know if there's anything special I need to do to clean it?

Use soapy water or a dilution of ammonia to clean after using berdan primed rounds, (corrosive primers). Regular cleaning solvents are NOT good enough.

Nice! I have a 1936 Mosin and I just picked up one of the 880-round cases of soviet surplus ammo packed in spam cans and the wood crate. It ended up being about $0.22 per round, but I haven't had a chance to go shoot any of it yet.

I've heard that the surplus soviet rounds use corrosive primers, do you know if there's anything special I need to do to clean it?

I think pretty much all rounds for that thing are corrosive, unless maybe you found something of new, modern commercial ammo (if there even is such a thing). I'd consider all surplus for that as corrosive.

Use soapy water or a dilution of ammonia to clean after using berdan primed rounds, (corrosive primers). Regular cleaning solvents are NOT good enough.

FWIW, not all berdan primers are corrosive but most berdan primed mil surplus ammo is corrosive.

Make sure you are using hot water and dry swaps to thoroughly dry the barrel when you are done cleaning.

Residual moisture in the barrel is just as bad as corrosive ammo residue.

After cleaning and drying the barrel, finish up with an oil-soaked cleaning patch to prevent rusting while your Moisen/ Nagant is waiting for you to take it out shooting again.

Back