Steel conduit pipe in MashTun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not like any zink in my beer, it's mildly toxic. You probably wouldn't notice any adverse effects for the amount that would be dissolved in the mash. But I would go for stainless steel or copper, just to be sure.

I made the mistake of using galvanized conduit locknuts on the inside of my first mashtun build, did a water test for leaks, and by the time I was done and dumping everything out, the locknuts were already green with corrosion (this was about 20-30 min. exposure time with just water). Galvanic corrosion doesn't mess around.

Is it possible to treat the steel? I've got about 20 feet of it and loads of time on my hands.

Don't use the EMT. Or regular rigid conduit for that matter. If you go to an electrical supply house you can purchase stainless rigid conduit. That's what I used to attach my false bottom in my MLT. A stainless union from Bargain Fittings makes it easy to remove and clean.

Galvanized steel also contains cadmium which is a very bad thing, especially in the ph range of a mash.

Ok. I feel like I'm missing at least two key pieces of information. Is it that the mash will corrode the steel, simultaneously, leeching off those particulates into the beer, ultimately resulting in bad beer; or is it the case that the beer is reacting with the steel, with no degrade to the steel, resulting in bad beer?

Ok. I feel like I'm missing at least two key pieces of information. Is it that the mash will corrode the steel, simultaneously, leeching off those particulates into the beer, ultimately resulting in bad beer; or is it the case that the beer is reacting with the steel, with no degrade to the steel, resulting in bad beer?

I think the part you're missing is that you don't want to ingest these harmful elements which make up galvanized coatings. The beer may taste fantastic, but it is likely not good for you at all.

Get one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-12-in-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Water-Heater-Supply-Line-FIP-x-FIP-Lead-Free-LFBK-LBF-12/203789991#.UfwdVZKW-So
6498a29e-c9d4-435d-9ad7-37e9154bc331_300.jpg

And a stainless steel hose clamp and something to hold the other end shut. I used nylon nut bolt and 2 washers. Cut the ends off, remove the tubing and put the braid on the inner end of your valve. I have had no issues using mine.

Get one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-12-in-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Water-Heater-Supply-Line-FIP-x-FIP-Lead-Free-LFBK-LBF-12/203789991#.UfwdVZKW-So
6498a29e-c9d4-435d-9ad7-37e9154bc331_300.jpg

And a stainless steel hose clamp and something to hold the other end shut. I used nylon nut bolt and 2 washers. Cut the ends off, remove the tubing and put the braid on the inner end of your valve. I have had no issues using mine.

Great idea. I do wonder how to clean it though. I can imagine that grain gets stuck in it all the time.

Great idea. I do wonder how to clean it though. I can imagine that grain gets stuck in it all the time.

Right after use I just take it out into the yard, dump the grain in the compost, an hose it out. Nothing much sticks in the braid. I sometime have to pick off a piece or two. 5 minutes max.

Back