STC-1000 Quick Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Sorry, I know there are like a million and six threads about wiring.

1. Is there a limit to to gauge of the wire I can attach? I am a "bigger is better" type, and I have 12 gauge solid wire from redoing my basement. Can I attach this to the leads or is it too big? (Every other thread about gauge refers to people trying to wire with 20 gauge and I wouldn't want to go small.)

2. The wiring diagram on the controller shows where hot/cold/etc. attach. They wouldn't do something crazy like install that backward, right? The terminals aren't marked, but I'm assuming they line up.

Thanks.

I think solid copper 12 gauge wire, even if it fits the connections, is not flexible enough. Packing the wires in and closing up the box has the potential to cause damage. I found this out trying to use 12 gauge to for porcelain light bulb sockets. I had to pigtail 14 gauge to the 12.

Look at using braided copper wire for heavier gauge, but with greater flexibility.

I have not wired a stc-1000, but there are two threads diagramming the procedure. One is titled stc-1000 and the other stc-1000+.

Yeah, I've seen wiring diagrams and I'm not worried about that. I was just worried about a bad connection. Someone on one thread (thread was dedicated to using too small of wire) mentioned that using too large of wire would potentially cause issues with the connections (bad connection heats up and causes failure).

Just didn't know if anyone used 12 gauge. In hindsight, I think I will just use a short section of my 16 gauge power cord to wire the internals.

Thanks, guys.

Back