STC-1000 long probe cable length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I'm not an electrical genius and I hope for your advice.

I need to measure temperature, like 10’ away from a STC-1000. Can I extend the cable for the probe or will that affect the reading?

Thanks

Let me know how it works for you. I'm inter step to know myself and I am an electrician. Haha

The STC-1000 uses an NTC 10K sensor, so you could literally stick a hundred feet of plain old copper wire in there and the readings won't differ...

Cheers!

Thanks! I was a few times in Stow and I loved it!

I did this on my setup, just used some simple 22 or 24AWG stranded project wire soldered to the bare wire ends of the STC1000 sensor, leave the sensor alone. It works great.

So not an STC 1000 but similar. I used this on my keezer build http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F05UI8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Temp probe leads were too short for the placement I wanted so I added a couple feet of "Alpha Wire" (high quality stranded cable) and tested against an accurate thermometer at different temps. Worked great with no issues, had the added advantage of being able to add a Molex plug at the collar for easy breakdown of the keezer. I think you will be good to go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back