STC-1000 controller box help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitizer101

Reaction score
I have been building a new single tier brew stand and have decided to switch from 3 burners to a HERMS system. Now I have started adding a controller box and am a little stuck on where to place some stuff and what should be controlled.

Here is a look at what I have so for.

Sorry for all the picts just helps me to draw it all up.

Herms1.JPG

Herms2.JPG

Herms3.JPG

Herms4.JPG

Herms5.JPG

Herms6.JPG

Herms7.JPG

Herms8.JPG

Herms9.JPG

And here is where I am stuck currently. Can I get away with one controller on the HLT that will control the strike water and thew mash temp via copper coil? Or do I need my second STC-1000 to control the WORT pump for re-circulation on the Mash Tun?

Herms10.JPG

I have already built the controller box with 2 STC-1000's thinking that I would need 2 but now I am not sure. Also not sure of where the temp probs should go. I was thinking of placing the HLT prob in the drain for the HLT just after the valve, but that would mean I need to re-circulate the HLT continuously to get a good read. I thought about doing the same with the Mash Tun and just run a continuous re-circulation through the coil in HLT on it as well.

brewstand.jpg

Actual picture of system with 3 burners still and before adding coil to HLT

Any ideas what would be best here.

Thanks

Back