Staten Island Homebrewers Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, especially Staten Island North. I almost died of an allergic reaction sitting in the waiting room once. Worst part? My mother had worked there for almost 10 years when it happened and they still wouldn't let me in ahead of the line! I finally recognized an EMS worker I had dealt with in Brooklyn and she got me in. Our hospitals suck here. The doctor that saw me said I absolutely should have been a priority.

Anyone else brewing this weekend? I have a ton of work going on in my house tomorrow but I'm moving outside to brew a SMaSH while its all going on. Thank god for this ridiculously warm winter.

Hopefully i can still find a way to get some brewing done. If not next weekend. Loving this warm weather. What kind of work you got going on...

Yup, especially Staten Island North. I almost died of an allergic reaction sitting in the waiting room once. Worst part? My mother had worked there for almost 10 years when it happened and they still wouldn't let me in ahead of the line! I finally recognized an EMS worker I had dealt with in Brooklyn and she got me in. Our hospitals suck here. The doctor that saw me said I absolutely should have been a priority.

Both on the island suck. Least you were able to get in before something happen. I get in there cant walk in killer pain so they do every test on me that has nothing to do with my knee so they can charge you for it. Then they say need to go to a other doctor then gave me nothing to help my knee or help with the pain.

Basically painting the whole house. After that a new balcony, then kitchen work, plumbing... Jeez it's a lot. I'm trying to convince my wife to stay here until I retire in ten years, so I have to keep sprucing it up.

Airborneguy: I got 4 clear wine bottles from work - I guess we'll figure out how to get them to you at some point - no rush on my side;

I might brew this weekend - really want to try this recipe out and I will just brew in to the Party Pig for now - even though it's not 3 gallons - just too much of an urge to brew and can't wait for my shipment...

And lastly; S.I. North sucks - woke up one day and couldn't move my leg. Spent 14 hours in the hallway and had minimal tests done before I walked out on my own. Still was billed $3k - and that's without an ambulance.

any hospital on staten island will kill you. My father had an infection years ago, and he was in and out of SIUH on seaview about ten times, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Finally, he said fcuk this, I'm going to manhattan. He went to cornell, and they figured out that he had an infection, and exactly where it was, on his first visit. They told him he's lucky he came when he did.

Sublimnl, if you want to borrow my 3 g better bottle, it's fine. Lemme know, I'll give you my address, and you can pick it up.

Sonny, I just cleared our brew day for next sunday. If anyone else is available and wants to stop by, lemme know. We're doing 10g porter and 10g sorachi wheat. I got the ol' "Don't you already have a bunch of beer that you need to drink". She just doesn't get it. Especially with the new thermapen, I'm itching to brew.

Sublimnl, if you want to borrow my 3 g better bottle, it's fine. Lemme know, I'll give you my address, and you can pick it up.

Sonny, I just cleared our brew day for next sunday. If anyone else is available and wants to stop by, lemme know. We're doing 10g porter and 10g sorachi wheat. I got the ol' "Don't you already have a bunch of beer that you need to drink". She just doesn't get it. Especially with the new thermapen, I'm itching to brew.

I would be interested in both :) I am however sans car 90% of the time as the wife needs it more than me, and she works weekends. But I can find a way anywhere - commuting to the city 10 years conditions you for it - plus there's always car service.

any hospital on staten island will kill you. My father had an infection years ago, and he was in and out of SIUH on seaview about ten times, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Finally, he said fcuk this, I'm going to manhattan. He went to cornell, and they figured out that he had an infection, and exactly where it was, on his first visit. They told him he's lucky he came when he did.

Mikey,Same thing happen to me 2 years ago went to the hospital with killing killing stomach pain. Going to make a long store short i was there for 3 weeks they couldnt tell me what was wrong with me. Went to the city within 2 days of me being there they told me what was wrong it turned out to be a infection in my stomach that started to move.

Ill come by next sunday shouldn't be working.Ill give you guys a hand

I bet it would work good tho 50ish bucks is a lot for it just holding #22 grain. At Lowes for 15 bucks you can get a food grade bin that hold #50

I'm a sucker for gadgets, so a dispensing system made me excited :) A quick Google search shows other rice dispensers that are more in the $30 range - still pricey I guess if you are looking for a more practical bulk storage system.

Airborne, I just realized that three of the bottles that I snagged from work are screw tops and the fourth is a proper wine bottle - I'm assuming the screw tops are no good right?

Yeah, its the corked bottles that you want for mead. Don't go crazy, this mead is at least 6-8 months away from being bottled. Thank you though! You can just bring them monday if you want.

Wait till you guys see my awesome, totally-not ", Midwest" blue collar way of taking notes for our meeting! I started jotting some ideas down last night on my iPad.

Speaking of jobs, I just went back to work after being laid off for 8 months. Every time I see something i can use in the brewery, and say "hmm, i can use this", my partner goes "what do we need that for". After 10 days, hes finally realizing that i'm not including "we" in the equation. I wonder how long a 50# co2 tank and a 90# propane tank would last

Sorry Im not going to make Monday's meeting I have to work but will keep informed from this thread.

Sonny , I started doing the same. I Think Monday we will have a lot of great ideas floating around from everyone and am excited to see what we come up with.

Updated list.................

Airborneguy/Sonny
Thedude00/Robert
mikeysab/Mikey
SeanGC/Sean
DrPhilGood/Phil
CaptKiRkLeS/Kirk
sublimnl/Elliott

Mike,
We will for sure be posting what we went over Monday so everyone knows whats going on.Sonny said he will be taking notes on his Ipad Ill be jotting some stuff down as well so the info will find its way one here.

Thought this was pretty cool. It's my ex-GF's brother. Apparently it never panned out unfortunately. If any of you go to Chili's on Richmond, the youngest brother has been the bartender there for a few years now.

[ame="http://youtu.be/LowIDD9rJR4"]http://youtu.be/LowIDD9rJR4[/ame]

I've already begun developing an agenda, and I will pass it to Sonny when i'm finished. I'll also attach my idea as well, since he's jotting down the notes, might as well compile all the paperwork together lol.

Additionally, the forums are installed, and we will provide a link on these forums for those interested in continuing discussions regarding the brew club.

Also, something to keep in mind. Mark from NBHS, Doug from Barley and Taps, and Bubba would also like to stay informed regarding our meeting. So, in essence, we have about 10 people involved in these discussions (the appropriate amount IMO).

P.S. I work at SIUH North. I'm part of Marketing :X

I live in apartment with my girlfriend, but my mother's house in jersey has a huge backyard that I might use for growing hops. Need to discuss that with her first though lol

Mike check out great lakes hops they sell hop starts and hop crowns. The guys over they say there hop start will see cones the first year. That where i order from.

I have two plants, one going into its third year and the other going into its second. I don't really take it serious though and might even pull them out this year. As a matter of fact, the third year plant is potted and if anyone wants it, its yours. It is a C hop, but I don't know which one.

Back