Starting Again - With Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I would like to start brewing again as I have fallen out of it, moved to a new town, fell on hard times, made new friends, got my money restored, and got some energy back. I have a few things I need:

A 24 Quart Stainless Steel Pot.
2x 6.5 Gallon Carboys
And a Hydrometer

That should be enough to start the process, right?

Secondly, I am looking for advice. I have found a recipe that I wish to use. It has some new terminology that I am not used to, and am looking for guidance. The directions for the brew are as follows:

Boil honey in 2 1/2 gallons water for 30 minutes; skim scum as it rises. Add all spices and yeast energizer in final 5 minutes; cover and let steep for 15 minutes. Add must to cider in fermenter. Test for acid and add acid blend as desired. Pitch a big, healthy starter of yeast. Rack in 2 weeks, again in another 4 weeks, again in another 4 weeks. Bottle when crystal clear and prime at your own risk.

So, I am not sure what pitching means, nor am I sure what racking means. Also... Prime at my own risk? Whats the deal there? Mead typically isnt carbinated like beer, so why would I prime?

Guidance is needed. Thank you in advance for your help.

Some meads are sparkling and would be carbonated. I think the risk part is because mead can ferment very slowly so people think it's done when it's not.

Pitch means to add the yeast in this case it is a yeast that has been started separately. Rack means to transfer to another carboy. Check out the wine and mead sections of this website for more info and ideas.

Storm
Ps welcome back to brewing

There are several things I don't like about those instructions. First, I don't boil honey. It removes a lot of the "honey" essence. Secondly, messing with acid blend before your cyser is finish is premature. What if it doesn't need acid? I haven't found too many meads that need acid. Lastly, calendar time tables don't work that well since yeast can't read a calendar. Rack when the yeast tells you it's time and that may mean a couple months in primary.

Pitching is when you put in the yeast. Racking means to move your beer through a siphon from one container to another.

Mead takes a good long time (months) to ferment. I have made plenty of carbonated meads but it's a personal choice.

Keep your honey at room temperature, and if at all possible, buy local ones that haven't been heated. As long as you sanitize your equipment, there's no need to ruin the base ingredient by boiling. Also, don't add acid until after the fermentation has finished, if at all.

So when one syphons the wort (I am assuming the term is used for Mead as well), is it poured from one to another, or is there a way that I am missing in which it is not oxidized? EDIT: Had a complete brain fart... I do have a syphon for transporting.

Also, someone mentioned when the yeast tells you to rack it, do it. I am assuming you mean when it is clear and the yeast has settled? From there, you move it to secondary?

With mead, I do my first racking after about 4-6 weeks. Yes, keep your eye on it, wait until all the little bubbles have stopped, then wait another week. It should be fairly clear at this point, then rack it and stick it in a cold place for several months to age and fully clear.

There are several things I don't like about those instructions. First, I don't boil honey. It removes a lot of the "honey" essence. Secondly, messing with acid blend before your cyser is finish is premature. What if it doesn't need acid? I haven't found too many meads that need acid. Lastly, calendar time tables don't work that well since yeast can't read a calendar. Rack when the yeast tells you it's time and that may mean a couple months in primary.

Pitching is when you put in the yeast. Racking means to move your beer through a siphon from one container to another.

Mead takes a good long time (months) to ferment. I have made plenty of carbonated meads but it's a personal choice.

agree with all of this! (you beat me to posting it). I will add that a typical mead, that's been given enough nitrogen (energizer) should be able to ferment out in 4 weeks. Two months is as long as I'd go in primary.

I have a carbonated raspberry mead that's just stellar, and wouldn't be right as a still mead.

"I have a carbonated raspberry mead that's just stellar, and wouldn't be right as a still mead." - Malkore

I'll be making a "23rd Anniversary Raspberry Mead" on Friday. This will be my first Mead. Modifying a recipe I found on the internet. I plan on carbing it too. I will ferment in the primary for three weeks and then rack it over to the secondary with the raspberries for another three to four weeks. Then racking it again and letting it finish out before bottling.

Good luck Marc

Good on ya Marc for getting back into brewing and for asking your questions here on HBT. The good, kind people here and their experience will make sure you don't go wrong.

Thanks VTBrewer for including a link to the sticky. I also am planning to brew a mead and hadn't noticed that sticky before. I am planning to use the staggered nutrient addition instructions. I also plan not to boil although it kind of freaks me out.

Back