starting a keggerator project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
OK..

I have been through a lot of threads here getting some ideas. I'm working with somewhat of a limited budget (I dont want to spend much more than 500 on the whole kegging system) so keep that in mind. I would like to have a tower, I plan on building a bar and would like to have the minifridge (probably looking at the Sanyo) I have a couple of questions....

1. How well does the Sanyo model everyone seems to be talking about actually work? Will it keep two kegs cold enough? I'm planning on have a dual tap and hopefully the ability to expand to three. I have heard that the Sanyo can fit three cornelius kegs and the CO2 tank, did I hear right?

2. How important is it that I keep my towers chilled? I am planning to build a bar, and wanted to somehow run the towers through the bar and put the taps on top... is this even possible? If I did this, I am assuming I would have to keep those towers chilled, is it possible to build some sort of little cooling system for a small area to keep the taps chilled?

I know its a bit ambitious to start out with, but I figure if I do it once, I should do it well and make something I can use the rest of my life rather than some rinky dink thing I am gonna want to upgrade in 10 years.

1. The Sanyo 4912 can cool to below freezing on max. It can only hold two cornies.

2. It's debated, but I'd say that tower cooling helps.

would just insulating the tower work well enough/just as well? I saw some threads where some insulated piping was put around the tower.

Can the sanyo fit two cornelius kegs and the CO2 tank, or just the kegs?

davidv53 said:
would just insulating the tower work well enough/just as well? I saw some threads where some insulated piping was put around the tower.

Can the sanyo fit two cornelius kegs and the CO2 tank, or just the kegs?

I don't cool my tower, but I don't mind slightly warmer beer (stouts are supposed to be served about 55* I think). The sanyo can hold two cornies and a 5 lbs. bottle with some fabrication, but honestly I stick mine outside.

Check out this thread for different setups.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29053

If you are talking about a tower on the top of the fridge, then if the hole is big enough the cold air usually keeps the toewer cool enough though usually warmer than it should be.

I just added a little 1.5" fan to mine. I should have made my hole bigger too. I have a 4" diam tower and I could have mede the hole much bigger and may change this soon. I didn't have a hole saw big enough at the time so I think I will buy one and drill it out. The little fan is working fine but it has a high pitched wine and it's driving me nuts.

Inside I added 3" computer fan to circulate air since these fridges cool by having the back plate get really cold. Circulating the air means a spread out even temprerature.

Don't need either of the above but it's a nice upgrade.

Back