starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racs

Reaction score
Hi, all
I have a big question. I did a starter using yeast from a previous yeast cake. When I did the starter I pitched in the volume if one white labs tube. Usually I use double the quantity and pitch directly into the carboy. But, I thought the yeast needed a boost and did the starter. Everything went well, pitched the yeast and showed activity straight away and really got into fermentation mode in a few hours. Its been 3 days and all the carboys look like they are done or almost done with minimal activity.
Fermentation was not as vigorous as when I pitched directly. Did it stall? Is it done already? Should I re- pitch some more yeast. Should I buy new stuff?
Or just leave it alone, and everything will be fine?
I checked the cells in the left over yeast cake and they look good 70% viability at the least.
Need advice

What was the temperature of the fermentation? Warmer often = faster.

Have you taken any gravity readings.

I don't worry a lot about how much krausen is created. I have brewed similar recipes using the same yeast and gotten very different fermentations. Some blow off and some have very little krausen. Some go quickly and some finish faster.

The end result is beer.

Maybe I am lucky but in 24 batches that I have tasted so far I haven't made one that I didn't like.

No gravity readings yet. I check viability with a microscope and methyl blue stain. Room Temperature is between 60 and 75 F no higher than 77 even when its hot outside. I was planning on doing a reading today and taste it. If its really sweet then fermentation is incomplete right?

If its really sweet then fermentation is incomplete right?

Not necessarily. Just check the gravity. Taste is not an indicator of fermentation. I've got some beers that come out with more residual sweetness than others for one reason or another. Checking your gravity is the only reliable way to determine if fermentation is done or not.

Ok
so gravity wise what tells me if they stalled or ar just done withprimary fermentation.?
Usually somebody else does this things and I usually just work with yeast. also I'm new at this
only been doing beer for a month. so far we've done 10 batches and everything went well.
this is the first time I try starters. I just hope everything can be drinkable or I'm getting fired
:(

Lol... you'd have to screw up more than just the yeast for it not to be drinkable.

Check your gravity. If you're at or near your expected FG then you're good. If you're not there yet then you may be stalled but would have to check again a couple of days later to know for sure.

Or just leave it alone, and everything will be fine?
This is most likely the correct answer.

You didn't say anything about the recipe or OG, so it's pretty much impossible to judge what a sweet taste means at this point. It sounds like you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

IMHO, pitching more yeast at this point (which you seem to want to do) is a desperation move with low likelyhood of success. With so much alcohol present, and most of the fermentables and oxygen gone, the new yeast will not be able to propagate in a healthy manner.

Take a reading. No worries!

It looks like everything looks good. Thanks for all your support and info. I'm waiting it out and taking it slow.
As for recipe we did two batches of 20 L of red ale and two batches of 20L of IPA.
As for OG the only one of was one of the red ales was 1.030 the other was 1.052. The IPA's were 1.062 (If memory serves right).
We did two more batches with starters of Hefeweisen and pitched more yeast from the start and they are going wild. So no worries anymore.
My boss has not given me final gravity for the other four, but if he is not worried and not willing to fire me anymore then I did something right. Yey!!!

Back