Starters from 25 billion cells...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrennert

Reaction score
I scoured the forums and couldn't find any info on this exact method...

I want to take a WLP vial (~100billion cells) and split that into 4 sanitized vials (~25 million cells each) and stick them in the fridge. Four days before brew, take one vial, make a 1 L starter to take it back to 100 billion cells, decant, add another 1 L to take it over 200 billion cells (all on stir-plate). Should be able to get four beers from a $6 vial.

This seems easier than washing yeast, and I would rather not pitch on the cake. I cant think of any real drawbacks to this, but my brain isn't working. If anyone else can, please chime in.

(i was using yeastcalc.com for my starter steps)

When I decide to brew a 5 gallon batch of "normal" gravity beer. I almost always make a 4L starter that I bump up over the course of 2-3 days. On brew day I fill a couple vials with some slurry and save for next time.

What you are doing is a great idea, you just need to plan a little further in advance.

Cheers!

Really like the idea of this mattrennert

Have a few questions. You are using those 200 billion cells for a 5 gallon batch or for a 10 gallon??

I have been thinking of reusing my yeast. I watched http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing where he is reusing yeast from a single carboy and putting it into 4 pint mason jars. He then uses one to create a starter but I am not sure if he is pitching that one starter into a 5 gallon batch or a 10.

I am looking for the best way to save some money on yeast and allow me to store it in case of a spur the moment brewsesh

I scoured the forums and couldn't find any info on this exact method...

I want to take a WLP vial (~100billion cells) and split that into 4 sanitized vials (~25 million cells each) and stick them in the fridge. Four days before brew, take one vial, make a 1 L starter to take it back to 100 billion cells, decant, add another 1 L to take it over 200 billion cells (all on stir-plate). Should be able to get four beers from a $6 vial.

This seems easier than washing yeast, and I would rather not pitch on the cake. I cant think of any real drawbacks to this, but my brain isn't working. If anyone else can, please chime in.

(i was using yeastcalc.com for my starter steps)

I used to split a pack into 10 parts and freeze them with glycerine. Many others do this.

Now, I just brew with the pack then split the yeast cake into a bunch of santized jars. I think it's easier.

I used to split a pack into 10 parts and freeze them with glycerine. Many others do this.

Now, I just brew with the pack then split the yeast cake into a bunch of santized jars. I think it's easier.

I never froze yeast, but I used to do what you are planning- divide up the package and then build up starters.

But I find that it's so much easier to simply brew once, and then split up the yeast cake by washing it.

I did that yesterday. I had brewed a 1.048 cream ale with a 2L starter. Once it was done, I "rinsed" the yeast cake and split it into four. I now have three pint jars of beautiful yeast in my fridge, and pitched 375 ml into yesterday's 10 gallon batch (per mrmalty). I didn't need a starter, and I've already made 15 gallons of beer with that vial. I have 3 more pint jars to use, and can rinse those and reuse as well.

Any of these methods can work well, as long as you're as sanitary as possible. I boiled my jars and lids, instead of simply sanitizing them.

One of the things I would do if I wanted to get really into this is to buy some slants and loops and actually freeze them. That makes a sterile environment, so you start with a sterile medium. Then build up the starters from there.

I do all of the above. When I get a new vial, and I need to make a starter for whatever I'm brewing currently I make a starter that's 2 times as much as I need. I split it, save half, and pitch half. Then, when the batch is finished I also wash yeast. I get endless amounts of good yeast this way.

Make a 1L starter with the packet. After fermenting, swirl it up good and pour evenly in 5- 8 oz mason jars liquid and all. Easy as pie. The alcohol should hopefully help to fight infection.

Have I been under pitching this entire time??

I have never done a starter but have pitched 1 liquid vial into each 5 gallon batch I have made. Also the same with dry packets.

Mrmalty says that I would need 4 vials or packs for 11 gallons. I thought Vials had 100 billion cells and packets had 200 million anyways so why would that be the same?

To clarify.. if I split a yeast cake in a 5 gallon carboy into 4 mason jars. Then take one to create a starter for 10 gallons. Mrmalty says i need 181 ml of yeast. How do I go about making a starter that large? I have a stir plate and 2 beakers a 2L and 1L, but have never used them.

Make a 1L starter with the packet. After fermenting, swirl it up good and pour evenly in 5- 8 oz mason jars liquid and all. Easy as pie. The alcohol should hopefully help to fight infection.

Packet? If you are using dry yeast, it is relatively inexpensive, why save it?

Packet? If you are using dry yeast, it is relatively inexpensive, why save it?

Although I agree, this is getting less and less to be the case. Dry yeast packets are up to $4 a packet at my LHBS. If you could make 1 packet split many times, you would still save quite a bit of cash money.

Back