Starters/Final Gravity...Pumped up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
First of all this brewing thing is coming along so well I just love it so much. Thanks to all on here for generous advice, I am learning every day and every batch comes out better than before. I can't get enough of it! My question is is 1.010 final gravity good?

Is 1.010 a good final gravity, what I mean is did the yeast do a good job? This is after two weeks. I made a Franziskaner clone with WLP300 and made a 700ml starter. OG on that was 1.050. That was bubbling at the airlock in 5 hours. As of today it is at 1.010.

Also I made an Austin Homebrew kit, Irish Red Ale, added a pound of dark candi sugar to boost gravity and darken a bit, and added some extra Cascade hops near the end. OG was 1.062. I pitched this onto a yeast cake from a prior batch of Irish Red Ale from AHS (that one I followed the recipe for exactly.) This was bubbling in less than 5 hours and is down to 1.010 after two weeks.

So I want to say this, I am so glad I tried making starters (NO excuse not to, so easy and kicks your ferment off so frickin fast) and also tried pitching onto a yeast cake (also awesome to watch! I never saw bubbles like that)

So in short all these ideas are just so cool to actually try out! SO any noobs that are worried just sanitize and freakin do it!

I brew a pretty narrow array of beer styles, but from all the reading I have done a FG below 1.020 is generally considered "expected", excepting some of the bigger beers. Where your FG will actually fall in that range it totally dependent on: % of sugars that are fermentable, fermentation temperature, yeast health, and pitching rate.

So, 1.050 down to 1.010 indicates to me that you had a good solid yeast party going on, and you should be pleased!

In any case, it seems from your post that you have a good adventurous spirit, and solid background knowledge. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about your FG. Ferment clean, age well, taste. Taste good? Hurray! A job well done!
:mug:

Back