starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
made a yeast starter with some wort I had left over FG was 1.083 is that too high?
I used some yeast i had from a sweet stout in fridge that i saved was yweast british ale 1098

1.037 is the usual target gravity of starters for established yeast. (But not for frozen or very small amounts that need a step-up).
As long as the yeast was healthy and you used a fair amount, it will just chew through it, no problem. There will be growth, but she can be stressed in that beer (high gravity, then high alcohol), hence we prefer a much lower gravity for starters.

How long ago did you make that starter?

1.037 is the usual target gravity of starters for established yeast. (But not for frozen or very small amounts that need a step-up).
As long as the yeast was healthy and you used a fair amount, it will just chew through it, no problem. There will be growth, but she can be stressed in that beer (high gravity, then high alcohol), hence we prefer a much lower gravity for starters.

How long ago did you make that starter?
8 hours ago

8 hours ago
Sorry I missed your reply... :(

It may well be a bit (too) late now, but I was going to suggest to add water to reduce the gravity to 1.037-1.045 or thereabout. If space doesn't allow, split the starter and add water to both.

And add nutrients!

Sorry I missed your reply... :(

It may well be a bit (too) late now, but I was going to suggest to add water to reduce the gravity to 1.037-1.045 or thereabout. If space doesn't allow, split the starter and add water to both.

And add nutrients!
Thats what i did i added water thanks for the help it went off like a bomb had to add blow off tube for a couple days until it resided back to normal

i have never seen my yeast cake at bottom be white why is that?
Yeast is supposed to be white or ever so slightly tan colored. The darker, the more dead yeast the slurry contains. So lighter is always better.
I had some saved out Belgian yeast in the fridge, that had gone dark and smelled like burned rubber: Yeast autolysis at work! That got pitched, on the compost heap.

Yeast is supposed to be white or ever so slightly tan colored. The darker, the more dead yeast the slurry contains. So lighter is always better.
I had some saved out Belgian yeast in the fridge, that had gone dark and smelled like burned rubber: Yeast autolysis at work! That got pitched, on the compost heap.
nice thanks for your help. I'm boiling Hause Pale Ale at the moment pitching dry SAfale o5 dry yeast.

Back