Starter Yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrkdbfGuy

Reaction score
I made a 1.5 liter Yeast starter a week or so ago. I let it ride on a stir plate for a couple of days and then cold crashed it for two more days. The plan was to then split off 500 ml. for future use and pitch the remaining 1 liter into an Irish Red Ale recipe.

But foolishly I didn't look for a mason jar beforehand, and naturally I didn't have one. After a week or so, finally got a jar and split off the 500 ml. Now a few days after, I'd like to brew the Irish Red. But now that nearly two weeks have gone by (mostly in the fridge), do I have to do anything to the Yeast to get it ready for pitching?

Bill

You'll just have a bit more lag time but itll work fine. Just be sure you are extra careful on sanitation so nothign else takes hold while the yeast ramps up.

But better idea, make a bit more fresh wort with DME and toss that into the starter, that'll get them going again and give you more yeast to pitch. Win Win. Definitely let it warm up to room temp while you brew though.

Also, when I split the yeast, the yeast cake looked pretty firm; like no longer easily slurried (I know that's probably not a word, but you catch the drift hopefully). After warming up the yeast to room temps, do I need to do anything to get it back in slurry state?

(Sorry for the stupid noob questions ...)

Bill

I would recommend using water (boiled then chilled). Fresh wort would be better, but the water is just fine.

but better idea, make a bit more fresh wort with dme and toss that into the starter, that'll get them going again and give you more yeast to pitch. Win win. Definitely let it warm up to room temp while you brew though.

+1

Also, when I split the yeast, the yeast cake looked pretty firm; like no longer easily slurried (I know that's probably not a word, but you catch the drift hopefully).

You did shake the flask to re-suspend the yeast prior to splitting the 500mL, yes?

Just want to make sure you didn't only save starter beer (because that stuff is gross!).

You did shake the flask to re-suspend the yeast prior to splitting the 500mL, yes?

Just want to make sure you didn't only save starter beer (because that stuff is gross!).

I did shake it yes. It didn't break up all that great, but it did break down some.

Bill

Back