Starter with dry yeast for a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm being a bit cheap here, but I really don't want to pay another $6 for a second pack of dry yeast (W-34/70). My beer will be around 1.047 OG for a 5 gallon batch. Mr. Malty says I need 18 grams of yeast. Can I just make a starter with the dry yeast? I have a 2L vial and a stir plate, so I would imagine there would be at least SOME cell growth.

Is the general attitude of not making a starter with dry yeast just based on the belief that dry yeast is cheap and starters aren't worth it? Should I just underpitch by half a packet?

Build the starter, or, not! Brewing is an experiment!! If you are documenting every step, like I do, do what you want!

I'd reconstitute and pitch the whole packet without a starter.

From Zymurgy:

Another case where you generally don’t want to make a starter is with dry yeast. It is usually cheaper and easier to just buy more dry yeast than it would be to make a starter large enough for most dry yeast packs.

Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper re hydration in tap water.

Spiffcow,

I have not done a lager yet, so I may be speaking out of turn, but at that gravity I would just reconstitute and pitch.

However making a starter is a good learning exp and if you want you could carefully build up that pack to a larger size.

If memory serves me correctly I was once told that you could throw some cheap bread yeast into your boiling starter - TO KILL IT - and the dead yeast cells would act as nutrition for your lager yeast once you cool and pitch the lager yeast.

BTW - when most people just say buy another dry yeast pack I think most times they are think $2 or $3 a pack not $6 :confused:

So, depending on your mood and maybe more importantly your timeline; flip a coin - you get beer at the end!

To make a starter you'll need to buy DME and in that case you'll be spending the 6 bucks anyway. At 1.047 you don't really need a starter, when using the dry yeast its not recommended anyway. You could just buy liquid yeast and not have to go through the hassle, while spending 2 or 3 bucks more. I'd choose the latter.

Back