starter water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
I have been using my well water to make starters with.
It's not great water but it's not completely awful either. I don't brew with it but I figured it would be fine for starters. I always cold crash and decant prior to pitching
Until now I have always added my DME to the water after it reaches boiling temperature.
I made a starter on Saturday with a smack pack that was 38% viable according to Brewer's Friend but this time I added the DME to cold water and then brought it to a boil.
For some reason the starter wort is grey in color. Before now the wort color has always been light brown or tan again using the well water.
Why the change in color? Has anyone witnessed this before? Should I think about using different water for starter wort?
The starter took about 18 hours to kick off I am assuming because of it's age.
I checked the ph and it sits at 5.2 18 hours after pitch and smells ok.

This probably no big deal. More heat applied to the same will cause more mallard reactions.

With well water be sure to run enough water to flush anything sitting in that long pipe. Ward labs recommends 5 minutes. I go for a minute at higher discharge then slow the flow so I don't pick up any metal etc.. from the old pipes.

Thanks Uncle Leon.
I am guessing this was due to the Iron in the water. The starter is coming around now and it definitely looks like I made some yeast.
What are the chances these yeast have mutated from the presence of all of this Iron?
Do I have Super Mutant Iron Yeast?
**cue SuperMan theme music**

Latest posts

Back