Starter size for a wee heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Reaction score
I've got a recipe with a target OG of 1.091 and I've never done anything more than the standard starter from a WL vial. I'm guessing based on threads I've seen, that I'll need more than the standard for a brew with this target grav? Split a vial and make 2 starters? 3-4 days worth? Thanks

-RS

A couple of different options here. One is to go with the recommendation on the link above and make a starter around 2 to 2.5 quarts and one yeast pack if you have a stir plate. There are some other non-stir plate options at that link as well.

Another other option is to step the yeast up twice if you don't have a stir plate. On step one, use a starter of about 24 ounces at around 1.035 SG. Let the yeast fall out of solution and decant the liquid. On step two, use 2.5 quarts at a higher SG of 1.055, which some people claim will help prevent osmotic shock to your yeast due to the high gravity of your wort.

I am not in the stir plate business yet, but a good friend of mine is. Perhaps I can borrow said item for this brew. If I get in a bind, I'll get 2 vials and make 2 starters. Expensive? of course it is, but this brew is already the priciest I've concocted, what's another 7 bucks, right?

I do like the step-up method though. I may try that. Thanks guys

No reason to buy two vials you can just split it and step up the starters.

If I may borrow your thread a second. How long does fermentation usually last on brews this size? I guess I should say active airlock bubbling fermentation.

No way to know how long fermentation will last. Depends on a lot of things. I've had .050s run steadily for 8 days and some over .060 that nearly attenuated fully in 72 hours. It's likely that a bigger beer like this one will take longer though if one were to guess. Get the yeasties pumped up and let em loose I say.

Back