Starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinator35

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a 5 gal batch of AHS Greenbelt IPA. It will have an OG of 1.066, and that would require a pitch rate of about 230 billion yeast cells.

i would rather not buy 3 packets of yeast to get that pitch rate, so i want to make a starter. According to Wyeast's calculator, one activator pack in a 3L starter will achieve that cell count.

what i am wondering is... is it going to hurt anything if i make two 1.5L starters and then split one packet between them? Also, im looking at intermittent shaking as my method of aeration.

try MrMalty.com, that seems like and awfully big starter for 5 gal at 1.066. it should be more like 1.5-1.75 L from one pack, depending on the method you use to make a starter.

Nordeast is right, if you use intermittent shaking Mr. Malty says you only need 1.75 liters. The Wyeast calculator is great if you use a stir plate, but Mr. Malty is better for other methods.

Back