Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
You're supposed to add DME at 180 degrees then boil for 10 minutes right ? What if for my inside equipment and size wise I don't have anyway to measure temperature? Can I add the dme at boil or no?

It does not matter what temperature you add the DME to the water. The only thing that matters is that the DME is boiled for 10 minutes. Make sure when you add the DME the flame under the pot is off, that way you avoid burning the DME on the bottom of the pot.

Also, you will need to cool the wort to 70 degrees before you pitch your yeast. You will need a thermometer to make sure the wort is 70.

Bring your water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the DME. Stir the DME well to dissolve. At that point you could put the pot back on the heat and bring to a boil. Take off the heat and cool to yeast pitching temperature.
185° will kill all pathogens. No need to boil longer.

I had my DME into warm water, mix thoroughly, then raise the temp to about 170F, turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 min...then into an ice bath to chill to about 68F for pitching.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression you should boil for 10 minutes to remove the chlorine from municipal tap water.

Chlorine in the water is a different aspect. Boiling will be necessary or letting the water sit, uncovered overnight.
I use our well water so that is not a consideration. Others usually won't risk treated tap water and use bottled spring water or reverse osmosis water.
If your city water contains ammonia and chlorine which produces chloramines, boiling is not very effective for removal.

Back