Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxa4christ

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and ordered 3 kits from AHS for brewing on Saturday. I With the kits I ordered WhiteLabs Vials for my yeast. The packages arrived yesterday to my home in Central FL. Last night when I got home from work, I brought the packages inside. I made 3 starters by instructions and finished around 1100 last night. This morning, nothing appears to be going on in the jars. I have aluminum foil loosely around the tops of the lids. I have seen numerous threads that say this is no big deal. How can I deteremine if the starters have been successful as opposed to yeast that went bad in shipping? I know that all the yeast vials came with cold packs, but the cold packs were room temperature when I opened the packages.

Thanks for the help!!!

Did you use a stir plate? Did you use loose sanitized foil? Did you swirl it every hour plus? Usually 14+ hours is good. Is thewort in the starter cloudy? Mine goes from a colored clear consistency to cloudy colored.

No stir plate and I was in bed overnight but stirring it every so often. I did use sanitized foil. I loosened it a little this morning just in case it was too tight.

Search for responses from revvy but you may need to give it a little more time. I usually let the starter run for 24 hours. Good luck. Maybe add a pic?

Also be sure to watch the bottom of your starter container for a layer of yeast... Depending on what strain you're using it's appearance will vary, but it typically looks like a whitish mud.

Thanks for the responses. I will check on them when I get home tonight and post pics if I still have questions.

So here are two of the starters. Still no foaming, not even with stirring them up a bit. I see the yeast settled at the bottom but how do I know that's not just the yeast I added that has been ineffective? Just looking for some confirmation before I brew tomorrow.

image-2349298461.jpg

image-4294808436.jpg

How much of a layer is on the bottom of the jars? Smell it, if it smells like skunked beer thats a sign that its been fermenting.

Simple question. Is there more yeast volume on the bottom of the starter then was in the vial?

Had the same issue with my last starter. There was atleast double what came in the vial. My stout is bubbling away just fine.

If you have 1/4 inch layer then your yeast more then doubled itself you should be ready to go. If your not brewing for a day or 2 you can put it in the fridge. When ready to pitch pull it out an hour or so prior to come to pitching temp pour off most of the liquid, swirl and pitch it.

lxa4christ said:
So here are two of the starters. Still no foaming, not even with stirring them up a bit. I see the yeast settled at the bottom but how do I know that's not just the yeast I added that has been ineffective? Just looking for some confirmation before I brew tomorrow.

Looks nice. Do I see a yeast layer at the bottom? That's what you want.

jpr210 said:
who, what, where, when, why, and how would one go about using a starter?

Did you search the forum first? Simple answer is do starter for all liquid yeast.

i should have been clearer, i was a little tired when i posted, sorry. ive seen the threads about how to make starters and all that, im more curious though as to why it gets used at all (whats its purpose?), and should dry yeast get a starter as well. i guess my original question was a little broad wasn't it? i just gotta know it all! haha :)

i should have been clearer, i was a little tired when i posted, sorry. ive seen the threads about how to make starters and all that, im more curious though as to why it gets used at all (whats its purpose?), and should dry yeast get a starter as well. i guess my original question was a little broad wasn't it? i just gotta know it all! haha :)

To ensure proper yeast viability and increase the number of yeast cells to the proper amount for pitching.

Back