Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiger66

Reaction score
This will be my sixth batch. My second with a starter(cream ale). Is it necessary to pour off the beer before adding the starter? My first batch with the starter I did not (Hefe). It's still in the primary and seems ok.

Whoa, I was just going to ask this too.

This will be my 3rd starter, but the first two I only made the about 1/2 liter and just threw it all in.

This one's a little less that 2 liters and that seems like a lot to add to the wort.

Should I throw it in the fridge to make sure the yeast drops out then decant?
If so, for how long?

I don't think it's necessary to decant the starter, unless you're making a large (>2 liter) one or your starter "beer" is significantly different than the style of the beer you're brewing. I just did my first starter, and decanted....stuck it in the fridge for a day, decanted, and poured it right into the wort. Active fermentation less than 5 hours later, and still bubbling happily away after 5 days.

I agree with jturie.

I cold crash my starters and decant before pitching. Not sure whether the "beer" in the starter will affect final flavour, but I'm sure it won't improve it either. I does require you to plan ahead, though, because getting the yeast to drop can take 24 hrs.

All in all, though, the fact that you're making a starter will improve your yeast's fermentation.

Let the yeast settle out to a cake on the bottom, and then 'pour' or 'decant' out the liquid above the yeast cake prior to pitching.....

But you leave a little of the liquid so that you can swirl right? Or do you just pour a bit of the new wort you'll pitch in, swirl, and pour into the fermenter?

But you leave a little of the liquid so that you can swirl right? Or do you just pour a bit of the new wort you'll pitch in, swirl, and pour into the fermenter?

I leave a little bit to swirl in. Maybe 1/10th of the liquid.

One question.

After cold crashing the starter and pouring off the excess liquid do you pitch it then or let it warm up?

:mug:

One question.

After cold crashing the starter and pouring off the excess liquid do you pitch it then or let it warm up?

:mug:

Ya.. I let it warm up to whatever my 'room temp' is, and then I chill my wort down to the same temp, so it'll be equalized for pitching.

Latest posts

Back