starter pukes all over the place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
made a 1L starter in a 1L flask. FAIL!

so I bought a 2L flask for a 1L starter and it is still coming out the top all over the place causing a mess and I'm loosing yeast.

OG was 1.038 and I use a stir plate

other than getting a 5L flask what can I do to prevent the overflow?

passedpawn said:
what yeast? I think I had that happen only 1 time in many, many starters.

Denny's 1450.

could it be I have my stirplate set to high and it's causing the problem?

In my experience the stirplate helps keep the foam down a bit.

What kind of malt did you make your starter out of?

I've not had a problem recently, but I keep an eye on it and have had to use baby gas drops (similar to fermcap) to knock it down after it boiled over the foil cap, and blew gunk all over the walls back when I used an airlock.

1-2 drops is all that's needed.

dcHokie said:
I think that might be a bit warmer than you'd want.

....and a bit off-topic, but it's 75 in your house, in February, in Maine?

oh. I thought to promote vigorous reproduction of the yeast higher temps were ok?

yeah 74degs is where the thermostat sits during the day. I live in a small second floor apt with gas heat and growing up in Florida I need that heat to keep me going when old man winter comes a knocking :)

To the OP: That happens when I do the second step of a 2 step starter that I do for pitching and harvesting in a 2L flask. Each step is 4 cups water + 1 cup DME. The first step comes to about 800 ML and after I harvest and decant, add another dose, it usually blows. Gotta cold crash and decant more between steps, but I hate loosing those low flocculating little fellas. They so want to make me smile!!!

Higher temps are good for starters, all you care about is replicating cells, and you can decant the spent wort. But that is odd that this is happening with a stir plate, I get little to no krausen, maybe a quarter inch with my stir plate

Off topic...sorry... will using fermcap cause no blow off during fermentation?

Yes. Fermcap will reduce or eliminate blowoff during fermentation and also will prevent boilovers in the flask/BK.

I don't use it in actual beer fermentation, but using the fermcap is the only way I can make 2L of starter media in a 2L flask, and ferment it out without a huge mess.

Some people here are mistakenly under the impression that yeast numbers are the only thing that matters when making a starter. That is absolutely NOT true. Do some reading, folks. Yeast vitality or health is equally important as yeast numbers. Fermenting a starter at higher temps is a tradeoff that may or may not pay off, depending on many factors. In general, it's best to ferment starters at the temperature you plan to use for the beer, or up to about room temperature at most. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by warming up your starter.

Sardoman said:
Yes. Fermcap will reduce or eliminate blowoff during fermentation and also will prevent boilovers in the flask/BK.

I don't use it in actual beer fermentation, but using the fermcap is the only way I can make 2L of starter media in a 2L flask, and ferment it out without a huge mess.

Some people here are mistakenly under the impression that yeast numbers are the only thing that matters when making a starter. That is absolutely NOT true. Do some reading, folks. Yeast vitality or health is equally important as yeast numbers. Fermenting a starter at higher temps is a tradeoff that may or may not pay off, depending on many factors. In general, it's best to ferment starters at the temperature you plan to use for the beer, or up to about room temperature at most. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by warming up your starter.

think Danny's 1450 range is 65-75degs. I would think the yeast would be happy at 74.

I will respectfully disagree with you. Yeast love growing at higher temperatures than ale fermenting temps, you certainly won't be "stressing" yeast in the 70F ish range. I am not saying the spent wort will taste good from a higher temp, oxidized starter, however you will have a healthy culture ready to ferment. mrmalty even suggests mid 70s for starters...

via http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
You'll get more yeast growth the warmer your keep the starter (up to 90F +), but yeast viability at these higher temperatures start to suffer. For lager yeast, this can be a real problem in creating more petite mutants and causing poor flocculation. In general, keep the temperature of the starter in the mid 70s Fahrenheit for ale yeast and a few degrees lower for lager yeast.

think Danny's 1450 range is 65-75degs. I would think the yeast would be happy at 74.

I agree.

I've tried this and it had no effect on the blowoff. I believe I added the correct amount (i.e., 2 drops per gallon).

That's interesting. Is this in a starter or in a 5gal beer? My experience with starters is that I get zero blowoff of a 2L starter in a 2L flask when using a stirplate and Fermcap-S at the recommended amount. That includes the more top-cropping strains like Wy1010 and Wy1332.

Of course I won't dispute your firsthand experience, even if it appears to conflict with my own. That happens too often on these forums and it is a peeve of mine. There is probably some essential difference between our processes that would account for our different results with Fermcap-S.

Sardoman said:
I think we are essentially saying the same thing. I'll respectfully agree with you.

and I respectfully thank all of you for your input :)

maybe I had a freak package of yeast. I'll be mixing up some more tomm ill post my results

thanks again everybody.

Back