Starter on a 3G batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a package of WL001 a couple days ago to use on a pale ale (either azacca/MO smash, or another ale using Amarillo/lemondrop hops) when my bmb is empty in about 2 weeks. As the title states, it will be a 3G ~1.050 batch (biab) and I'm curious if I 100% need a starter on this brew. I've never made one before, the only other time I have used liquid yeast, it was with a smack pack and I just pitched it as-is with good results. If I was doing 5G, I would definitely give it a shot, but is it an absolute? I guess the practice wouldn't hurt, just need to place an order for DME.

Gut reaction here... newly purchased yeast packet (check that the “best by” date is recent), 3 gallons, 1.050... just pitch it as is. No starter required.

Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking too. I’m well within the date and am aiming at lower gravity. Unless my efficiency bumps up this brew.

I am not positive of the cell count calculators, but I think pitching a pack of White Labs yeast into a 3 gal batch is on target. That has been my strategy with 2.5 gal batches and it has worked well. A month or two ago I had one of those "oh, I guess I have time to brew that pale ale today" moments and I was surprised how fast a tube of WLP001 took off (probably around a 1.055 beer).

Back