starter needed for a 3 Gallon batch 1.062 OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppypoppy

Reaction score
I am new to making starters as I usually make smaller batches and usually just pitch a packet of dry yeast. I am trying to fine tune my brewing and one step is to make sure I am pitching the appropriate amount of yeast. I am brewing a 3 gallon batch this weekend with a OG of 1.062. I am using the liquid white labs california yeast with a production date of 4/1/15.

When I ran the numbers though mr malty and I was suprised it says I need 1.5 vials or 1 vial with a 1 liter starter. When I bought the dme today the LHBS said a starter wouldn't be needed.

What are your thoughts? I have no problem making a starter I am just concerned that I might over pitch since it's only a 3 gallon batch.

You really have to try to over pitch. I don't think it's a bad idea to make a starter, but you could get away with not making one.

For a 3G batch with an OG of 1.062 and using liquid yeast packaged on 04/01/2015:

Starter size no stir plate = 0.83 liters
Starter size w/stir plate = 0.48 liters

Source = Beersmith 2

Oh.. And that would be with 1 vial of yeast. BeerSmith says you would want 2 vials with no starter!

Thanks for the replies.

I should add I don't have a stir plate and will be swirling the wort with my hand.

Based on the opinions give is either way I should be good but doing a starter should yield better results. I have the time so I"ll do a starter.

I've made beers with OG's of 1.065, and simply sprinkled some S-05 over the foam after pitching and have never had a problem.

I will add that since my first BIG beer (1.110 OG), I do a yeast starter every time. No real reason beyond smelling that delicious yeast at work before pitching it.

Thanks for the cross reference! Always good to check multiple resources. 2 vials sounds crazy!

I haven't opened the excel file yet, but the graph seems to show that at 24 hours the growth about peaks.
There are several factors that will effect the speed at which the starter progresses. These include pitch rate, yeast health, gravity, temperature, and agitation. A starter can take 24 hours to 1 week to complete.

Unlike mrphillips, I do starters everytime I brew. I know firsthand that a good strong fermentation makes a big difference in the quality of the beer; a proper starter helps achieve this plus it can stretch your dollar out a little. It is hard (not impossible) to over-pitch but under-pitching will only produce a sub-par brew.

There is variance in calculator formulas and starter performance as woodlandbrew points out. I've had success with Mr. Malty and Beersmith so I dont think you'll go wrong eitherway. I think BrewersFriend might have a tool too, just pick one you like and run with it.

Most of the performance variance can be directly attributed to the yeast strain but "in general" most starters are done in ~24-48 hours. I've had WLP001 finish in ~24 hours and I've seen it with tall kraussen after 48 so there isn't a hard fast rule.

Dont get too caught up in the details unless that's your goal. Pick a tool, make a starter, brew your beer and enjoy!

KEEP CALM
AND
HOMEBREW
ON

Unlike mrphillips, I do starters everytime I brew. I know firsthand that a good strong fermentation makes a big difference in the quality of the beer; a proper starter helps achieve this plus it can stretch your dollar out a little. It is hard (not impossible) to over-pitch but under-pitching will only produce a sub-par brew.

There is variance in calculator formulas and starter performance as woodlandbrew points out. I've had success with Mr. Malty and Beersmith so I dont think you'll go wrong eitherway. I think BrewersFriend might have a tool too, just pick one you like and run with it.

Most of the performance variance can be directly attributed to the yeast strain but "in general" most starters are done in ~24-48 hours. I've had WLP001 finish in ~24 hours and I've seen it with tall kraussen after 48 so there isn't a hard fast rule.

Dont get too caught up in the details unless that's your goal. Pick a tool, make a starter, brew your beer and enjoy!

KEEP CALM
AND
HOMEBREW
ON

Jamil pointed out, and I thought it was an interesting point, to pick a calculator and just use that one. Since every calculator is a bit different, if you stick to one you'll understand what that pitching rate will do.

Like if Mr. Malty says a 1 liter starter and it seems phenolic, pitch a bit more than it tells you to pitch and find that sweet spot.

I don't feel like I explained that in a way that made sense...

You should get a stir plate and a foam stopper. I have done about 10 yeast starters and when i first started out, fermentation was done in ~24 hours with tin foil and a stirplate. Now, I use a foam stopper and fermentation is over in 12 hours. You should definitely make a yeast starter, I have noticed that the quality of my beers have dramatically increased.

Back