Starter issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackucack

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-starter-overflow-how-much-lost-191513/

I found a post on my issue and it is sort of disheartening, seeing as how I'm looking at my yeast starter slowly spew out yeast product. I had made a nice little starter with my new 2L flask last week but had something come up so I didn't brew. I had it in the fridge all week and decided to give it a little bump so I decanted the fluid and poured in a smaller 1quart wort starter so I can brew again on Sunday. Came down this morning to an overflow, and it's been slowly going all day long.

Is there something I can do to keep it from bubbling good yeast out of my flask?!? The stir bar is off because any movement seems to set this thing off.

IMG_20110624_140637.jpg

I haven't used it, but I've read a few drops of Fermcap-S (anti-foaming agent) will do the trick.

I've heard that too, but don't you need like a few drops for a 5 gallon batch?

I sanitized a SS rod and stirred the bubbles down a bit, but they are so thick is just seems to stick to the rod and delay the overflow for about an hour.

This is the second time this has happened and it's starting to get me pissed. It never happens on the first round, but if I add more wort to give it another boost it goes nuts!

Back