starter for wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I am about to brew a Belgian wit this fri or sat. I have a coupe of questions about the yeast. First off the beer's expected og is 1.061, which is purposefully high for a wit. i know that you are suppose to use a starter with anything over 1.060 but, i have been reading it is bad to use a starter for a wheat beer (lack of ester's, banana, clove ect.). So what do i do? should i still make the starter but slightly underpitch it? My recipe is Beating The Summer W-heat on this forum. my yeast is white labs WLP410 belgian wit II.

I wouldnt worry about purposely stressing the yeast. You'll still get those flavors with an adequate pitching rate. Mr. Malty FTW.

If you were to pitch low, I would advise to make a slightly smaller starter. A vial in a 1.061 is very low. I have also seen 1.060 stated as the cutoff for needing a starter but I think most agree that in reality you should make a starter for anything over 1.028 or so.

mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com have a lot of information on starters.

On the other hand, you could also just pitch two vials...

Last fall I brewed up a Wiezenbock. Don't remember the exact OG, but it was in the 1.070 range, just a little higher than you're looking at - the recipe came right out of Brewing Classic Styles. Jamil recommends pitching 3 smack packs or an appropriate starter - LHBS suggested going with 2 smack packs, or even just one to encourage some of the banana and clove esters. I was hesitant to go as low as 1, so I pitched 2 packs, and was very pleased with my results.

I get plenty of banana/clove going on in hefes and I always make a starter according to MrMalty.com., and ferment in the middle of the yeast's temp range.

ok so after putting in the info in mr. malty it says i will need a 2.56 liter starter. i have a 1000 ml flask. how do i make this work? will i have to multiply everything by 2.5? like instead of 1/2 cup of dme do i do 1 1/4 cups of dme and 5 cups of water? i still only have one vile of yeast. should i put it all in a larger container? sorry for such a noob question, i just always used re-hydrated dry yeast to this point.

If you were to pitch low, I would advise to make a slightly smaller starter. A vial in a 1.061 is very low. I have also seen 1.060 stated as the cutoff for needing a starter but I think most agree that in reality you should make a starter for anything over 1.028 or so.

mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com have a lot of information on starters.

thank you. a few more questions for you if you get a chance to look back at this thread. i really appreciate your help.

basilchef said:
ok so after putting in the info in mr. malty it says i will need a 2.56 liter starter. i have a 1000 ml flask. how do i make this work? will i have to multiply everything by 2.5? like instead of 1/2 cup of dme do i do 1 1/4 cups of dme and 5 cups of water? i still only have one vile of yeast. should i put it all in a larger container? sorry for such a noob question, i just always used re-hydrated dry yeast to this point.

With a 1L flask you can first do 100grams DME to 1L , cold crash, decant, do another, crash, decant and then a 50.grams to .5L and build up the yeast through steps, or obviously get a larger container and do the full starter at the same 10-1 ratio: 250 grams to 2.5L

I prefer to weigh out my DME as it is more accurate than measuring out cups.

why does a 2.5L starter seem so large? i am used to 3/4 cup of rehydrated dry yeast. just feels like so much volume of liquid to add to 5.25 gallons of wort. i dont think my carboy will hold that much. does this mean i have to scale back the wort and the starter? i want to leave some room for the krausen to bubble up without exploding in the ferm chamber. all the while not forfeiting 2.5 L of wort for the yeast to fit. it doesnt make sense to me, is the lost in wort made up for in a better over all beer?

You should cold crash the total 2.5 litre starter then decant the wort leaving behind your luscious, hungry, slightly uncomfortable due to the weather change yeasties who will attempt to kill you in your bed and drown your pets during primary. They take off with eukaryote MURDER in their little eyes. A blow off tube and possibly a shotgun are a must for a wheat bear with starter.

You should cold crash the total 2.5 litre starter then decant the wort leaving behind your luscious, hungry, slightly uncomfortable due to the weather change yeasties who will attempt to kill you in your bed and drown your pets during primary. They take off with eukaryote MURDER in their little eyes. A blow off tube and possibly a shotgun are a must for a wheat bear with starter.

solid answer, what temp is good for crashing?

+1 to that stir plate, same one can be ordered directly from the guy who makes them here, and I love mine!

My normal starter regimen is 24 hours on the stirplate, overnight in the fridge, decant, and pitch. (Or step up and repeat if necessary). I've only once mis-timed a starter such that I had to pitch the starter at full krausen, but that was after a step up. Should be kegging that beer this weekend - every sample pulled so far has been pretty fantastic, so I wouldn't be too concerned if you find you "have to" pitch the starter wort too.

sweet i have looked itno buying one but these are def the cheapest ive seen yet. thanks for the link. ps this post just made me a senior member (wahoo). #100

Back